This morning sucked but I salvaged it. I went to the shipping depot job listening to Miles Davis’ “So What”. I thought Bitches Brew was the best jazz song ever made, but So What mellowed me out pretty good. Then, for about two hours straight, I listened to Mark Crozer and the Rels’ “Broken Down in Love”. By the time I was done, the problems of this morning went away and I think I’m good. But I’ve gotta stop letting racial things get to me. They usually don’t, but recently I’ve been affected. But enough of that. On to the subject at hand.
It's 12:17am. I'm sitting in the MDX outside the bank job feeding off the Internet connection so that I could write and post this. 32. I made it to another birthday. You know, I have to admit I wasn’t in the best of spirits when writing my last two birthday posts. I’m supposed to rant about how I shouldn’t have gone to college and that, had I not gone, I would have been retired with my business up and running by now. I’m supposed to talk about how old my body feels due to my past health issues. This one, however, feels a bit different.
With a little over four months left, I have my property Charlie. I’m clawing my way back to a five figure bank account. I’m in reasonably good health. What exactly can I complain about? All the hard work I did getting my credit back up to par and learning from my mistakes is finally paying off. My credit is decent, the kids are all right (the properties), and –best of all—I only have one property to go. I have a lot more going for myself this time around and it doesn’t feel bad at all. I look in the mirror sometimes when I wash my face, and I can see little gray hairs popping up in my hair. First time I saw it freaked me out. But then I remember my brother and sister both started getting gray hairs in their late 20s/early 30s. And getting older is just fine with me. I’ve noticed that, the older I get, the more I can look back and see all the mistakes I’ve learned from. I don’t wanna be 16 anymore. I don’t wanna be 21. I remember the kind of person I was at those ages and it’s… it’s not me anymore. Shit, it seems as if I change a little bit every week.
The person I am now is stronger, healthier, wiser, and surprisingly faster than I was back then. By the time I’m writing 2014’s birthday post, I should have over 30K in my account… on my way to 50K. By 2015’s birthday, I should be almost ready to quit the security jobs completely. I should also be about finished with the attic apartment. Oh, speaking of which… I have a company coming in on Sunday to check out the attic of property Beta. I want to see whether the house can hold the extra weight of an apartment in the attic and, if so, a rough estimate of how much it would cost me. If possible, I’d like to do it in stages so that, by the time I’m about to retire, I won’t have too large a job to finish.
All in all, I think this is the first happy birthday I’ve had in a long while. I’m on my way to retirement and my business practices are getting better through every good/bad experience. Sure, I screw up sometimes but, as long as I learn from my mistakes, I’ll take every year’s birthday in stride. But now it's time to sleep, wake up and go back to work. Happy birthday indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment