Thursday, December 19, 2013

TCOB Before the Nigeria Trip

(Taking Care of Business)

Tuesday night marked the final time I would have to be at the shipping depot for 2013. It was absolutely brutal: my back was killing me, my hands smelled like body odor and feet, and the amount of trucks I had to do was absolutely insane. Even though my body was sore and I’ll lose a lot of money by missing 8 days of work and 80 hours of pay ($670 after taxes), at least my body will have time to heal and I won’t have to see those hillbillies for the remainder of the year. And, by the time I come back, peak season will be over.

With only one day left before I leave Smalltown, I had to settle business. Knick had problems getting his National Grid turned on in his girlfriend’s name, so I had to send a notarized letter to them verifying that she lives there. The Africans called Tuesday and said the heat wasn’t working. It turns out that the furnace heat was working, but some rooms don’t get as much heat as others. We went over this last year when I brought my HVAC guy Gonzalez to check it out. He said that the other rooms don’t get enough heat because they’re too far from the furnace, so I did all the duct taping of the air gaps using the thermal leak detector and furnace duct tape. Now they’re complaining it’s too cold again. Ugh. Yeah I know, but I won’t have to deal with them much longer. I told them I’ll drop off a couple of space heaters and that’s it. Hanna then had the nerve to ask if the heaters will affect their National Grid bills. Ungrateful worthless animals… I really can’t wait to throw them out and have tenants that don’t need it to be 90 degrees in every damned room.

I decided on taking a flight to NYC instead of dropping my car off with Nikita Simone. We talked the other day about relationships, and about how she feels I'm making a big mistake by choosing not to be with her. She made a comment that freaked me out and… well… here’s the comment:

12-15-2013 3:57pm
If it was up to me we would be together and ride off into the sunset together—no question that I could spend the rest of my life with you—no question about that—but you would have to want that as well…

This is after only TWO dates. Women, I swear. After she said this, I felt very uncomfortable with the idea of leaving my precious MDX at her place and having sex with her before I left. WAY too many mixed signals there, and I just want it to be over. She has already said she’s moving on and looking for other dates, and took it well that I was no longer coming to see her before my Nigeria trip. I… I have mixed feelings about Nikita Simone, but I’ll explore that in another post. Right now, all that matters is that she moves on with her life and her goals of getting married and having kids. I do have to apologize to my penis, though. Going from having sex every day to having sex once a year for three years, and then to have an opportunity to have sex with the gorgeous Nikita Simone just to have me purposely throw it away was… I just…

Look man, I’m sorry. I know you and I aren’t on good terms right now, and you have every reason to be mad at me. I haven’t given you much to do these last three and a half years and you’ve made your feelings known whenever I see a beautiful woman. And I know how much pain I put you through that night in bed with Nikita. All I can ask is for your patience. I have a very addictive personality. I knew I had to cut down on the sex and the extra-curricular bullshit because I couldn’t focus on the important things. I wanted to switch my obsessions from the non-essential stuff to business, and I’ve done that. Bear with me, bro. Before you know it, I’ll be retired and we can go back to doing our thing on a normal basis like everyone else. I promise.

Poor bastard. Anyway, I’ll be taking a flight to NYC tomorrow evening to hang with Nino and relax before the trip. Then, upon my return on January 2nd, I have a return flight that gets me back in Smalltown by 10:30am. Then I get a quick nap and head in for the 4pm shift at the bank job. I’ll leave my car in the parking garage which saves me a lot of worries and headaches. The total for the round trip ticket was a little under $300. Not bad, especially considering that I couldn’t see myself safely driving from NYC to Smalltown after an 11 hour flight from Nigeria. Today, all I have to do is buy some t-shirts and underwear for the trip and then I’m all set. I signed up for international service in Nigeria, but I’m not sure if it’s gonna work there since it’s Straight Talk service, and not more popular brands like Verizon or AT&T. I’ll figure that out, because I definitely need to be accessible in case a tenant calls with a problem.

There’s no doubt that this will be the last trip I take before retirement. I don’t have the time or money to deal with extra BS as I head towards the home stretch of my retirement goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment