Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Let's Get Renting Again!

Well, it looks as if I’m getting my wish times two. Lex and his Indians, the ones living in the upstairs unit of property Alpha, are moving out.

Lex stopped me last week Tuesday to complain that the apartment was too small for him. I already knew this, and his stopping me as I was pulling out for work really pissed me off. This weekend he called me to say that he had found a place, is moving out at the end of the month, and wants his security deposit back. He basically gave me 10 days notice and expected his security deposit back? Screw that! In almost every state, you have to give 30 days’ notice before you leave an apartment. Legally, since Lex told me this weekend, he can’t leave until the end of November.

I called Lex today and told him that he can leave on the 31st of October, but the lease cannot be cancelled until the second week of November. By doing this, he can leave the apartment when he wants, but he will still owe for November’s rent. Since he’ll owe for November’s rent, he can use the money he would have paid as his security deposit returned. Now, I don’t have to pay for shit! This can work out great for me. With them gone by the end of October, I can have the place cleaned up and ready to rent for $50 higher by the end of the first week of November! Not only that, but I should still get November’s Public Assistance check for $141. All in all, I can profit from this turnover by at least $200!

I was tempted to let them leave and quickly get the place rented out before the end of October, but that’s just too much hassle. Having extra time allows me to get a better crop of prospective tenants, plus gives me the chance to try out some of the contractors that were suggested to me by the REIG (Real Estate Investors Group). Lex and his Indians were getting on my nerves anyway, and I’m fairly excited about how things will turn out. Being able to profit off two turnovers in two consecutive months will really be an accomplishment that I can hang my hat on as 2011 comes to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment