Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ego Incorporated

So I got my loaner car on Thursday: a 2013 Acura RDX. I wanted an MDX but they didn’t have any available to loan out.

I thought that once I started driving, I would feel big and bad. Roger Dodger driving around in a brand new Acura. I’ll put the windows down and play some music or something. But nothing happened. I got in the car, drove back to work, and that was it. When work was over I drove home, and followed this same routine until I had to return it yesterday. Aside from the push button start and the great acceleration, the car sucked and I couldn't wait to get my MDX back. I wondered why my ego didn’t get a boost until I realized my ego surpasses that new car feeling. To put it in better terms; the car doesn’t make the man, but the man that makes the car. I could be driving a Pinto and still feel like the Man. My massive ego is a driving force in my personal life (whatever’s left of it anyway). So, I wondered, why don’t I use some of this ego when it comes to business?

I’ve realized that I become a certain persona when dealing with tenants or anyone in real estate. I’m the nice, responsible, non-threatening landlord who likes to fix things quickly and take the high road in almost all situations. I take baby steps when doing business because I’m so cautious that I’ll make the big mistake. I’ll piss off the wrong person or I’ll make the bad decision that puts my business and my future into a downward spiral. But I’m slowly beginning to understand that there is such a thing as too cautious. Look at how I ended things with Kylie Ray. Does one really think that the real me would allow that big bitch to get off the hook so easy?! Never. I was playing it safe, like I always try to do in business, and now she’s in that apartment rent free until the 11th. Like I said, too cautious.

Starting now, I have to stop taking baby steps when doing business. I have to take advantage of this massive ego and incorporate some of it when making business decisions. This doesn’t mean that I’m gonna be a complete asshole and start yelling and picking fights or anything like that. I simply want to include the more assertive aspects of my ego into my business life. There are so many people who don’t have my potential and are more successful than I. This isn’t jealousy, but rather a measuring stick of success. I’m not sure if this incorporation will accomplish anything, but I no longer believe it’ll hurt if I try. I’ve been in this game long enough to know that I know what I’m doing. I always say that I’m a great man. It’s time to start acting like one.

No comments:

Post a Comment