Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Done Drowning

Water bills are a funny thing. When you don't pay them, the county adds the debt owed onto your property taxes and you end up paying a higher mortgage. I had to learn this the hard way.

When I first came here, I saw my friend Sha throw water bills away and not care about them. I saw guys with water bills of over $25,000, so I just assumed that I would be able to work out a payment plan down the line when I'm rich. But it doesn't work that way. Especially now, when the state is squeezing every landlord for anything they can think up of. I have almost $3000 in overdue water bills that I have to pay by the end of this week. After that, all the money I make is mine.

While on the subject, I moved a single welfare mother with 5 kids into the downstairs of Property Chi. I did it mostly because her sister lives upstairs so there won't be as much complaining coming from the upstairs about the "downstairs neighbor". Also, I no longer have to worry about the rent not being there since welfare pays it, which was a huge problem at that particular property.

The problem is two-fold: 1) She has two washers. If that water bill goes up too much, I'll end up back in debt with the water department and, 2) Can she really take care of 5 kids by herself without turning the place into a pigsty? Probably not. Anyway, I'm more concerned with the former, as I really hate paying so much for WATER. Property damage is usually minor and the place needs a paint job anyway. I'll have to keep a close eye on her. That's the key to water bills and bills in general: keep a close eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment