When a person buys expensive things that have no real purpose other than it looks nice, it means he/she is being ghetto fabulous. It's also used when you needlessly buy things you can't or can just barely afford to raise your status amongst peers. Old school white guys in Smalltown call it being "nigger rich".
I've noticed myself thinking ghetto fabulous the last couple of weeks. During my down time or when I'm not researching real estate at either jobs, I'd go online and look at properties that are way out of my price range, just to see what I'll be able to afford in a few years. I've looked at office space for the business I'm going to set up in 2015. I've been looking on Craigslist for Ford Escape Hybrids, my eventual company vehicle, along with the BMW X5, my eventual personal vehicle. I've looked up information on what to look for when hiring a secretary and what questions to ask. All these things won't be happening for another three years, so why am I teasing myself?
It may seem harmless, but the old saying that goes "don't count your chickens before they hatch" is true in this case. See, I'm a moron. If I start thinking of all the things I'm gonna be able to afford in the future, I may be tempted to try and get them sooner, thus giving me more debt to shoulder as I try to reach my goals.
I know myself. It's one of the keys to being a success in any business: know yourself. Know your limitations and know your strengths. If I keep thinking about expensive things, I'll focus on getting those materials instead of keeping my eyes on buying the properties that will help me acheive my million dollar goal. I see landlords do this all the time. Instead of using their rental profits to buy more properties and make more money, they use it for expensive car payments for 10 cars and a big 50-bedroom house for themselves. Having these things are great, but where's the capital? Just because it's affordable it doesn't mean it should be obtained.
I need to entertain myself when I'm not online researching real estate at these jobs. I've been playing the same football game on my Playstation Portable since 2007 and it's getting boring. My cellphone has always been my primary source of entertainment at my security jobs, going back to my college days. My current cellphone, the Nokia E71, lacks in the entertainment field. So I'm going to purchase the Samsung Galaxy Precedent w/ Android technology when it comes out in three weeks. I'll still be on the Straight Talk $45 unlimited plan, but I'll have a much better phone that will keep my mind occupied at my security jobs.
It's nice to think about the future sometimes, but when I think about it too much it becomes a problem. I'm surprised I have any downtime at all, but I need to fill it with something so my mind doesn't wander too much. For people like me, a wandering mind can be a dangerous thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment