I have a soft spot for immigrants. I’m not sure why, I just know that I do. So, when the Indians of property Alpha need help, no matter how mundane, I try to help out as best as I can. Sometimes, however, they can get on my nerves.
Lex and the upstairs Indians called me yesterday afternoon while I was at the shipping depot job, and said that their toilet was clogged. Not my problem, right? Any other tenant, I’d tell them to get a plunger and don’t bother me. But, since it was them, I told them that I’d be over there after work at midnight. So I went to Rite-Aid and bought a plunger for them to keep in the house. I drove up to the driveway and called them to let them know I was coming upstairs. Lex then informed me that they had already fixed it. I was pissed. It was 12:30am and I had to be back at work in 5 hours after working for 6:30am-midnight, and this was what I had to deal with?! I yelled at him for making me buy the plunger and just to do something that isn’t my job in the first place. I told him not to ever call me past 4pm again and, if he does call, it had better be an extreme emergency! I wasn’t actually yelling, but I made sure my voice was loud and stern for everyone that was sleeping to hear. Lex apologized like crazy and that was that.
The truth is that I don’t really care about Lex and his Indians anymore. The only tenants that matter in property Alpha are the downstairs Indians. See, no normal tenant would be able to live comfortably knowing that their landlord sleeps in the basement below them, and can probably hear everything they say. The downstairs tenants don’t care, and that makes it easy for me to continue living there without having to pay any living expenses. So, when the downstairs tenants called and asked me to replace one of those kitchen circular light bulbs, I said “Sure, no problem!” Even though it’s not my job, keeping them happy with something as small as a light bulb replacement will keep them there and, ultimately, keep me happy. I need them there until at least the end of 2012.
Lex and the upstairs Indians tried to move out before, but they couldn’t find a better deal or a better landlord than what they have right now. With the winter coming up, I have NO issues with them leaving because I’ll have the only 3 bedroom utilities included apartment in all of Smalltown up for rent. I can charge $50 to $100 more than what Lex is currently paying. From now on, Lex and his Indians will be treated no different than any of my other tenants.
P.S.: Another reason why I would want Lex and his Indians to leave is that I just found out that they’ve been paying too much rent. One of their wives applied for public assistance a while ago, and I’ve been getting an extra $141 a month. I guess they forgot about it because they still pay me full rent! When I first saw the checks, I just assumed that it was remnants of the Laurie/Annie situation. So, instead of $850, they end up paying me $991 monthly. If they move out before they figure out what’s been going on, I have a better chance of getting away with it. But if they find out, I’ll just blame it on the “Property Management’s Accounting Department error” and cut them a check or take it off the following month’s rent. But I sure could use the extra cash because every dollar counts.
No comments:
Post a Comment