Friday, December 9, 2011

Property Charlie and the Rita Dilemma


When I’m done writing this post, I’m going to the vacant building next to my bank job and soaking my head in cold water in the bathroom. I have a major headache that I thought I’d gotten rid of, but now it’s back. The headache’s name is Rita. This is gonna be a long one.

Above is the first property that I want to buy next year, my prospective property Charlie. There are others, but this is my first choice. It’s a four-unit building with a massive back yard and a nice little garage that is being used as storage. It’s got 2 two bedrooms and 2 one bedrooms with enough off-street parking for 4 cars. Location-wise, it’s near the Smalltown Mall and the neighborhood is like property Alpha’s: great, but not excellent. The asking price is 59k. My plan is to put an offer on the property once I get my tax returns back, most likely near the end of February. After I buy that property, I buy another cheap 4 unit property and that would reach my quota of acquiring property that would yield $2500 per month profit for 2012. My original plan was to buy one big commercial property by August or September, but this plan would have me make a good amount of money by year’s end, plus give me buying power and credibility when I plan to buy a big commercial property near the end of 2013.

Last night I got a phone call. It was my mother, Rita. She said that she saw a property online that looked really good and wanted to put in an offer. Take a wild fucking guess at which property she was looking at. Yep, same one! The second she said the address of the property I got a huge headache, the same headache I had whenever my sister Rana or Rita would ask me for money. I think I actually heard God burst out laughing and I just stared at the phone. Rita actually had an opportunity to buy this property in 2009, but the program she was going through had closed and the deal fell through. Thanks to Operation LFS (Lie For Success), I can’t tell her that I’m going for the same property or she will know that I have money and am still actively pursuing real estate properties. LFS has me putting real estate to the side to focus on going back to school.

This morning I called her and said that I spoke to the property’s listing agent and that the property is under contract, and that there is a back-up buyer for the place should the deal fall through. I don’t actually know if the place is under contract but, if it is then I have to find some way to hold it for myself. Her response was this: “Well, if God wants me to get the property then those deals will fall through and I can get it.” Great. This statement means that she’s keeping an eye on the place until it says “SOLD”. The funniest thing about this whole scenario is that it’s probably all my fault. When I lied to her by saying that I had to stop doing the real estate, she began to lament that she wished that she had a business or something that could help her kids make money so that we all wouldn’t be “struggling”. Operation LFS might have lit a fire under her ass to start buying properties and now I have my own mother as competition.

Rita wants to buy the property then have me manage it like I do with property Chi. If I don’t manage it, she would probably get some shitty Smalltown property management company to do the job and they’d scam her for the out-of-state landlord that she is. I can’t imagine getting rents for that place just to give it up to someone that’s not even here. They tell you in real estate to never “fall in love” with a property and I’ve been very careful not to. If I don’t get this building, I’m sure I can get another four-unit building. "Like Water", remember? I'll be looking at many properties next year, and maybe once I see the place first hand I may not want it anymore. If that happens, then Rita can have the damned property. But this is my primary target right now. Rita has unknowingly put herself in competition with me and there’s nothing I can do about it. I understand that she wants something for herself and I can even understand her lament that she wants to take care of her kids. But that’s her problem.

I didn’t go through all this stuff so that I can be a manager for someone else’s property, or to see someone else get rich BEFORE me. She’s not working the two full-time jobs, I am. I was the one shitting in tomato cans when my basement apartment had no plumbing and no toilet. I’m the one residing in some poorly ventilated, dusty basement apartment just to save money on renting. I’m the one that was driving back and forth from NYC to Smalltown with treatments for my illness making me dizzy and weak, almost crashing my car on the highway several times just so I could make it to work on time. I’m the one going through the learning pains of real estate and tenant management so that I can retire by the end of 2013. I didn’t come here to be someone’s bitch, and I’m certainly not going through all this so that I can be a scout for people that are not me to make money. Morally, I may be wrong. But as far as business goes Rita’s my enemy. The only way she's gonna get it is if I don't want it anymore and, if she gets it, she'll have to hire a management company because I'm not managing that shit. Smalltown is mine and any person, even a family member, that wants a property that I want is in my cross hairs. Now where’s that damned bathroom…

No comments:

Post a Comment