My new tenant Nicky is… dumb. She’s nice and all, but she’s also an idiot. Because I picked her, this makes her my idiot. Okay, my best guess is that she’s not really dumb, but rather her previous landlord allowed her to pay whenever she wanted and she’s not used to sending payments or meeting deadlines. I texted her when she only sent $300 of the $400 that she owed for last week. This is what we texted to each other:
Me: Accounting stated you paid $300 of the $400 that was due… I don’t usually communicate with a tenant this much but I don’t want you to fall behind so early in your tenancy. It would look bad on you and bad on me as well, so here’s what we’ll do: Until the payments are complete, text me the amount you are paying along with the date you are sending it. Do this every Thursday until the payment agreement is done. This way, I don’t have to keep bothering you.
Nicky: I will have $400 sent to you by Monday.
Me: Good… Just keep updating me every Thursday and things should work out… If you have any problems let me know…
Nicky: OK sounds good and I will
I introduced myself as someone that works for the management company, not the owner of the building. People feel more threatened when they know they’re dealing with person that owns the apartment, rather than the property manager. Nicky is also a filler tenant. She’ll only be there for six months, after which I’m throwing her out and moving in a tenant that I believe will be long term. During her tenancy, I plan to use some of her rent money to make further repairs in the unit so that it will appeal to the next tenant even more.
So I’ll have to resort to tactics like this until May of 2012. I’ll have to train her to pay rent on time and watch her like a hawk. I can’t be too aggressive, as it might piss her off and she’ll fuck up the place like she did with her previous landlord. I’ll have to make sure the leash is tight, but loose enough so she can breathe.
No comments:
Post a Comment