In 2009, the tenants there had vacated the upstairs
apartment but National Grid left the power on. It’s been on ever since. So for
about three years I’ve been charging for utilities even though I wasn’t paying
for it. For three years I’ve made well over $9,000 off of their error so it was definitely worth it. They took out the meters and I have to start a payment
plan for the original $1400 I owed National Grid to reactivate my account. The
down-payment for the payment plan was $700, so I am REALLY hurting for money
now. The meters will be put back on Friday, so Nicky will have to make due
(like I care) until then. The problem is that Gretchen, who’s moving out on Friday, needs
a place to make baby formula for her sick kids.
Sha told me that as long as Gretchen is not on the
lease, I don’t have to do a damned thing for her. I don’t trust Sha’s law
expertise, and I wasn’t going to let Gretchen sleep on the street. Even if I’m
legally vindicated in doing so, it wouldn’t feel right. And I’m pretty sure if
anything happens to her kids she will sue me. Rather than deal with all that
stuff, I will let Gretchen and her dirty ass children stay in the empty unit of
property Beta to make baby formula. I have showings until 5pm today, so I told
her she come over today and tomorrow at 5:30pm. The second floor power at
property Alpha is also connected to the basement apartment, so I’ll have to
take some mighty cold showers for the next couple of mornings and will have to
charge my laptops at work. I actually called Nicky to let her know of the
situation and that the electricity will be back on Friday. I was actually civil
to her, even though she called me yesterday try to goad me into an argument by
quoting real estate law with our court date looming. I was professional then
and I’m professional now. What can I say? I’m a professional-ass mother fucker!
You know, if I were smart I should have used some of that $9,000 to pay off my National Grid bill, but I wasn’t thinking clearly then. I was concerned more with profit than with taking advantage of fortunate situations like I’m doing now. Oh well, at least that’s one negative on my credit report that comes off. But taking a $700 hit AND having to pay a new monthly bill is going to hurt for quite a while, especially in the winter.
Capitalization Rate (Cap Rate)
This is a really interesting term that has some stuff added to it. I’ll give the definition and an example of the formula, and
then go into some detail in my next post. The cap rate is the Net Operating
Income divided by the purchase price OR the current value of the property. The
net operating income is basically the pure profit made after paying mortgage
and repairs and taxes and all over costs. Think of net operating income as PURE PROFIT.
Let's take that prospective property Charlie that I was looking last
month as an example. I’m hoping to get it for 100k or less, but for
example’s sake we’ll
say that the purchase price will be 100k. So I buy it and rent out all
six units, with the
mortgage (including taxes and insurance) to be $1000. Now let’s add in
the
estimated cost of repairs and water bills and whatever—make it $300 per
month.
So every month I have to pay $1300 in total costs, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment