My Nigerian co-worker Ola and I are good
acquaintances, with him helping me with my Yoruba and me answering his
questions about why Americans are so dumb. A couple of weeks ago, Ola told me
that he bought a car and that he wanted me to see it. When he pulled up to the
bank job, I was amazed.
Ola bought a 2008 Buick Lacrosse with 65,000 miles
on it for $9,000. What amazed me more was the fact that he only pays $201 per
month, including the insurance. What amazed me most was that he got approval
for the loan WITHOUT a credit check. If he can be approved for a beautiful $9000
luxury vehicle based solely on his monthly income (which comes to about $1150
after taxes), I could probably be approved for a much more expensive car with
affordable payments! I immediately told him to take me to the car dealership to
see if they have a BMW X5. The ride over to the dealership was so nice and
smooth (leather interior, sweet A/C, an engine with monster horsepower), only
increasing my desire to get a new vehicle.
When we got there, the car salesman said that they
don’t have any X5s but he’s trying to get some for August. As the salesman continued asking me questions about my finances, it started
to sink into my head that it would be a really dumb idea. Forget the added
financial burden of car payments, but why drive around in a nice X5 when I’m
still doing these god-awful security jobs? For me, buying the X5 is supposed to be a
retirement gift to myself once I get enough properties. Besides, what’s the
point of getting an X5 without a garage to park it in?? Until I reach that level
of financial freedom, I haven’t accomplished enough to be driving around in a
luxury vehicle. So I told Ola to forget it and he took me back to work. I was
tempted, but no thanks. A beaten up GMC Jimmy will do just fine until that
sweet morning when I wake up and realize that I don’t have to go to work.

No comments:
Post a Comment