Friday, June 22, 2012

Back to Roger


Marla walked by the bank job yesterday, and she put on weight. I, like most people, enjoy seeing an ex-girlfriend not looking too good post-break up, especially when the break up wasn’t on good terms. And if that was a sign of good things to come, then bring it on! Here’s some more good news: Belle and Sebastian came over Thursday afternoon, liked the place, and signed the lease. All my apartments are once again fully rented out.

When they arrived to see the place, I was a bit nervous. They never saw the apartment, but trusted me enough to take my word that it’s a good apartment. They looked around and liked what they saw. I was hoping for more enthusiasm, but they had no complaints. We did our walkthrough and Belle pointed out things she wanted fixed, and good ol’ Handyman Stan fixed them on the spot. Love that guy! Once everything was set, they signed the lease and the deal was closed.

They seemed eager to get out of their apartment situation, as they lived in a room in an owner-occupied house. They complained about how the owner’s girlfriend was giving them a hard time and they couldn’t wait to leave. The only two things that concern me with Belle and Sebastian are: 1) they’re moving from living in a room to living in a three bedroom apartment and; 2) they had issues with their previous landlord (or his girlfriend anyway). They also have pets (2 cats and a small dog), so I have a lot to watch out for during the early months of their tenancy. But they were asking all the right questions and seem responsible enough, and they both have good jobs.

Handyman Stan was awesome, and is definitely the best handyman I’ve ever had. Alfonso was good too, but Stan does the work faster and cheaper. I mean, whatever I gave Stan to do got done. From the time Nicky moved out until Thursday evening, Stan worked his ass off to get everything fixed up and ready. One might ask why he couldn’t get Beta done in the same amount of time, but that was my fault. I constantly changed my mind on what I wanted done in property Beta’s apartment, and that’s why it took 23 days to get it rented out. When Nicky left, Handyman Stan and I walked through the entire apartment and I made him write a list of what I wanted done. Everything was clear and that’s one of the big lessons I learned during these transition months. Getting an apartment rental ready is easier when the landlord and the handyman are clear on what needs done. Stan showed me something and, if he can keep up his stellar work, I may have him be the guy that gets my prospective property Charlie rental ready, or even finishing my basement apartment.

I gained a lot of experience during these two turnovers and, now that everything is done, I can finally start recouping my losses. I’ll probably end this month at $10,500, which is fucking awful. But from July until the end of the year, I will be playing catch up on my quotas. With all my tenants on the lease until at least June of next year (except for the Homos), I can go back to saving money for my prospective property Charlie. I can also start going to the Planet Fitness gym that I signed up for in May. Next week Monday will be my first day working out at the gym, with all of my time after working two jobs devoted to getting those damned apartments rented out. It’s Roger Dodger time, and I’m gonna take advantage while it’s here.

No comments:

Post a Comment