Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Mac Attack

Four posts in one day. It's good to be back to blogging on a regular basis...

You know, for better or worse I’ve been pretty good when it comes to eating right. I mostly stay within my calorie range (2000-3000) and work out regularly by running up and down the steps during my rounds at the bank job. But things took a turn for the worse last Friday night, as I was faced with a temptation I wasn’t prepared for.

I was driving home from the shipping depot very tired and itching for a midnight snack. Usually I would simply go home and eat a quick snack before passing out. But I felt like a grilled chicken sandwich, so I pulled into the McDonald’s drive thru and was greeted by this sign:



The Devil's Sign
Fuck! I don’t know what came over me, but I zoned out and immediately ordered 4 Big Macs. On Saturday I ordered 4 more. On Sunday I ordered 6. On Tuesday I had another 4. I’ve been going nuts with these goddamned Big Macs and it’s all because of that deal, not the sandwich. I can easily resist paying over $3 for a disgusting burger, but for some reason the 2 disgusting burgers for $4 deal has a hold over me. After work last night, I fought with myself to not go to McDonald's and I succeeded, but today might be a different story. No matter how many facts I hear about McDonald's, it hasn’t stopped me from driving in and ordering my deathbed. I remember Howard Stern copied an experiment someone did, where he bought a cheeseburger from McDonald's and left it sitting in the studio for a year. After 365 days, the bread was moldy and rotten. The cheese was green and disgusting. But the “burger” was just fine. I remember him reading the tagline of the online experiment that went, “If bacteria refuses to eat it, why would you?” One would think this knowledge would stop me, but it hasn’t.

I pride myself on my willpower but this feeling is just… so damned strong. I can already feel my face cheeks getting chubby, indicating that I’ve put on at least 4 pounds since last Friday. Ugh! See, this is why I can’t wait for my basement apartment to be finished. I can just imagine going home after a hard day’s work, opening up my refrigerator and having some Honey Nut Cheerios as my snack instead. The other issue is that I live in Smalltown, which doesn’t have many food options to choose from. My life will be so much healthier once I have an actual kitchen and will no longer have to rely on outside food destroying me. If I can’t resist it, then I’ll have to try to at least curb it until this “limited time offer” finally goes away. Thankfully this offer happens once every 3 or 4 years, so this will be the last time I have to deal with the 2 for $4 temptation. Until then, the shame continues…

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. I went through a similar McDonald's relapse recently, except mine was with hot fudge sundaes. Almost two weeks worth. At first it seemed like a nice treat. After the first few days, they started causing me intense headaches. You would think pain would've been a good reason to stop, but I continued. I am pleased to say it's been a few days without any. I wish I could say stopping was all self-discipline; extremely limited finances played a role.

    ReplyDelete