Wednesday, February 5, 2014

C Is For produCtivity

It’s snowing like crazy today. A check engine light came on the Acura MDX. My right foot has been killing me and making it difficult to do my rounds. I haven't cut my hair in 2 months. My mom asked to borrow money. So why am I smiling?

I was determined to finally start cleaning up the basement on Monday after work. I told Nino to call me at 4pm to stop me from whatever I’m doing and clean my apartment. So he called at 4pm, but I was in the middle of… something. He called three more times and I was still in the middle of… something. The last time he called, he pretended to accept that I was gonna be a lazy bastard that day. So we start bullshitting and he says:

Nino: Hey, let’s talk about the Cookie Monster.

Me: What about him?

Nino: Well, the Cookie Monster eats his cookies, makes a mess, cleans his mess, and then eats more cookies. If you wanna eat more cookies and be happy, you have to clean up your mess.

I took it as a strange joke that made absolutely no sense and we soon ended our conversation. As the afternoon turned to evening, I couldn’t stop thinking about the Cookie Monster. It wasn’t that I was being shamed to do it because the Cookie Monster would be mad at me. Give me SOME credit for not being that retarded. But the thoughts of the Cookie Monster made me smile and I started watching old clips that I saved on my phone. For some reason, and I can’t explain it even now, Nino’s plan worked! I started cleaning the basement and throwing things in the garbage. Because I waited so long (it was around 8:00pm) I couldn’t do as much as I wanted to. But the motivation fire has been lit. By the end of this weekend, I’m sure my basement will be clear of garbage and the property Charlie apartment should be rental ready by Monday.

This post probably won't make sense to me when I read it back, but I wanna write it regardless. I've always loved the Cookie Monster, but what did Nino's statement have to do motivation? Don’t ask what the Cookie Monster had to do with it because I have no idea, and I don’t think I care. It doesn't matter what nonsensical utterance gets me going, as long as it works. I’m finally shaking off the laziness of the last 3 months and can feel the fire burning again. And getting that basement apartment finished would be great for my continued productivity. I remember being a kid and the teachers would say that the least productive student is the one whose room is a mess. And they’re right. When I get “home” and I see garbage and stuff all over the place, it de-motivates me and I feel like sleeping or being... in the middle of something. I’ve been able to accomplish a bit while living in a cave for almost 8 years. Imagine what I can accomplish if I have a clean apartment to come home to and do work in. Wow. The fire is truly burning now. Thank you Cookie Monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment