Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dodger Family Summit: Part I

I… I'm pretty sure this post is gonna be a dark one. I’m not sure how to start this, so I’ll just begin writing…

So I got to my dad Roy’s place around noontime last Saturday. When he opened the door, he looked about the same. Everything was fine until he started talking to me. I noticed that, as he was looking at me, one eye would be looking elsewhere while the other would try to focus. It bothered me greatly, as it was the first time I truly knew Roy was going blind. Whenever he walked, he would touch the walls the way my grandmother did before she lost her sight. That sound of his hand grazing the walls reminded me of her and it creeped me out. We talked one-on-one while I tried to fix his external hard drive. The house he lives in is too big for him and he wants to either move to a condo or move back to Nigeria. To do this, he has to sell the house and felt he needed approval to do so from his children. I told him it’s better to sell the place and move to Nigeria because no one can really take care of him here. So, before the meeting started, he had already decided that he’s going to move back to Nigeria. What one pays for home healthcare in a month would be a year’s worth in Nigeria. After a while, my sister Rana came over and, with my brother Rex on the phone, the family summit was underway.

Roy laid out his plans of selling the house, but said he needs someone to wash his clothes and cook his food every once in a while. I live in Smalltown, Rex lives in Washington, and Rana lives in New Jersey, so we decided it was best for him to hire someone. What bothered me… what I still can’t get out of my head… was the way he looked and the way he sounded when he said “I need help”. It haunts me even now. I can still hear it and see it. His hands were clasped together and I… ugh. I can’t finish this today. My mind is wandering in so many directions, and this post is too important to screw up. I’ll continue this tomorrow, as I’ve gotten about four total hours of sleep ever since I came back from Brooklyn and my eyes are burning tired.

P.S.: I decided to hold off putting an end to this blog. Don't get me wrong... I still plan to get rid of it soon, but only because I'm tired of Blogger. I realized that it doesn't matter who reads this... just as long as it doesn't get in the way of this blog's purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment