Those Africans of property Chi. Ugh!
As I was driving back to Smalltown Monday night, I received texts from Stutter Man, pertaining to the copy of the lease I sent to them per their request:
Stutter Man (11:28pm): The lease you sent is from 2012 we reneiwed another one
Stutter Man (11:32pm): If you do not send me the new lease I’m going to the court on friday
Ugh. Stutter Man. I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, as I never renew leases. Once a lease runs out, I always leave the tenants as month-to-month tenants so that everyone is free to do what they want without the bindings of a formal lease. My best guess? This is their way of trying to buy more time. To them, they can’t be thrown out if they are still under lease. One of the downstairs Africans called the business line and I picked up. Yeah. They called a business line at 11:39pm. I explained to whomever it was that they signed a lease in 2011, and then another one in 2012 when Umar and Hanna moved upstairs. After that, both leases ran out. He kept trying to get me to search for the phantom lease, and I saw no reason to continue the conversation. I ended the call by asking him to tell Stutter Man not to text me with useless threats, and if they want to take me to court then do so. I admit that they got to me at that point, but only because it was fucking MIDNIGHT and I was driving home from a funeral. I'm trying to learn that lesson of not letting tenants get to me, but it wasn't easy in that particular situation.
The next day, I called Umar and let him know that I will not be giving them more time. Umar seemed pissed but played it off by saying that they will continue looking for another place while I can do what I need to do. Why thank you, Umar, for giving me permission! Flirting with an extension was wrong of me, as I shouldn’t have entertained the possibility of giving them another month to find a place. Fuck that. In property management as in life, my yes has to be yes and my no has to be no. Maybes don’t cut it in the business world, and I’ll take responsibility for that. My reasoning behind the extension was I wanted things to end amicably to reduce the risk of them trashing the place on their way out. But now I couldn’t care less. I have the guys I need to get things repaired, and I should be able to handle standard damages with minimal cost.
If they’re not out by the 31st of this month, I file for an eviction the very next day (as soon as the city marshal’s office opens). Our court date will most likely be the 9th of April and, during that time, I don’t expect rent from either apartment. I may file another eviction for rent during that time, but I’ll check with my lawyer Marvin Wassle before I do anything. In court, they can bring whatever bullshit they want as an excuse, and the judge will probably give them a week to get the fuck out. That puts them at the 16th to finally leave. If I can get the Pelcom guys to have both apartments rental ready by the 20th, I may be able to rent both apartments out during the last week of April. This would make up for the lost rent and gain a small profit for Rita. But it all depends on how things go, so I guess I’ll have to wait and see.
No comments:
Post a Comment