Friday, May 23, 2014

Painting the Old Fashioned Way



DDP Yoga: Wake Up
Finally, I started DDP Yoga this morning. After getting a better scale last night and seeing my weight was 255 instead of the 240 I had previously thought, I got started immediately. 25 pound weight gain in 6 months. For shame. Wake Up isn't really a workout, but more like morning stretches. It's 11 minutes and, when I was done, I felt pretty good. I was on time to work for the first time all year. None of the real workouts start until Wednesday, so I'll be doing this every morning until I memorize it. DDP will sometimes go too fast when doing the exercises, so I'll have to adapt to that.

As the cleaning of the batcave is slowly coming to an end, I found the Flexio 570 paint sprayer lying on the floor. I realized that I forgot to make one more statement on this blog about the Flexio and interior paint sprayers alike: they suck.

Before Tisha moved in, I tried using the sprayer on one of property Chi’s rooms--- the hallway where the bedrooms are located:
 
Blue painting tape every where

 I put the blue tape around the trim and got started:



Paint dots all over the door and trim

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stop the paint from going over the blue tape. This leaves very annoying paint dots that are a pain in the ass to clean off. This happened at property Charlie when I was getting Taniqua and Eugene’s apartment ready, but I didn’t use blue tape at that time. I figured that, once I used the blue painting tape, everything would work out. Well it didn’t, and I bought the widest tape available. This marks the second time that new technology has failed me in property maintenance, as I remembered how that $400 battery operated lawnmower stopped working after just six weeks.

So, I'll change the way I get an apartment rental ready for now. I still believe an apartment should be ready in 7 days. The first two days should be the handymen making repairs and patching holes. The next day will be me cleaning stuff up as well as applying paint tape to trim and removing the switch and outlet covers. After I buy a decent paint set and paint, the next two days are painting the walls. The final two days are cleaning things up and that should do it. This schedule will be a lot easier once I’m retired, but that’s the general gist of it. If I had more money I’d pay someone to paint but, as my next post will show, I really have to start cost cutting. The paint sprayer is a good idea for painting the exterior of a house, but technology hasn’t perfected a way to fully control the paint that comes out of a sprayer. Until they do that, interior painting still belongs to the brush and roller. Better to get a $6 paint set and get to work.

P.S.: Sometimes I get lazy and find taping the trim to be an arduous task. So I’ll throw an extra $10 for the handymen to tape all the trim and get the place paint ready. Better to pay them $10 than $500 I would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment