Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Jobs Must Be Crazy

My greatest advantage at this stage of my real estate career is having the two security jobs. With two incomes coming in, I'm able to build up a down-payment for my next property twice as fast. The current status of those same jobs is now in danger.

The bank job is experiencing a mutiny of sorts. Two co-workers have already accepted jobs for more money and plan to leave in the month of June. Another co-worker is interviewing for a job on Monday. 9.25 an hour is shit pay so I definitely understand leaving, but the problem is that it will leave only 3 people to work shifts 24/7 at the bank. I can't do that plus work the shipping depot job at the same time. Also, it takes the security company at the bank months to find replacements for staff, so I definitely wouldn't be able to do both jobs at once.

My boss came to me Thursday and said that I may have to work a weekend in June and I told no her no. When she said that I may have no choice, I told her no again. My boss, Sandra, is one of those "I am woman hear me roar" type women who hires all men to further cement her dominance. She's morbidly obese, in a failed marriage, has health problems but most importantly, she likes to bully. Even though I say no, she may put me on the schedule anyway just to gauge my reaction. If she tells me that I have to choose between working the weekends or having a job, I may have to quit. I know how important the money is and I rather like the bank job, but my body can't handle those infernal 36 hour shifts anymore. My guess is that Sandra won't risk losing another guard over something so small and force the company to send someone. However, I won't bet on it because she loves to save face and make dumb decisions based on pride.

The shipping depot job is also in danger. Some of my co-workers have been getting sloppy and allowed a guy to steal 15 or more laptops from the depot over a period of two months. How? Well, some of the guards simply don't pat down the workers when they leave, and the rest is history. When caught, the thief said that he knew he could smuggle the laptops out because he knew which guards did patdowns and which didn't. The security contract might get terminated due to that and other lapses in judgment, so I may be out of this job as well.

With this being the year that I buy a building more that 2 units, I knew that there were going to be more variables than usual. That's life. So I'll have to start playing my cards very carefully from now on. I'll start applying for jobs during the first week of June, when I have a clearer view of what's going on. I don't want to quit a job and have nothing to fall back on, and I can't go back to having just one job. It's simply not an option right now. The month of July has 5 pay periods for the shipping depot and 3 for the bank job. That's over 3k in one month! I can't let the incompetence of co-workers or the inability of a company to replace staff in time to jeopardize everything now. So I'll put in applications when the time is right, then watch and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment