On Thursday evening I came home at the same time as
Nicky’s welfare friends did. The girl, Gretchen, asked me first if I’m the
landlord and then if I accept Public Assistance. I asked her why she wanted to
know since Nicky only has until next week to leave. Gretchen looked at me
wide-eyed as if she didn’t know, then thanked me and rushed upstairs. I went inside,
laid down on my bed and thought to myself: “This is gonna get interesting.”
Yesterday I was playing hookie from work. I came out
of the house to check up on property Beta and Gretchen was outside, almost
waiting for me. She was wearing this “trailer-trash-tanktop-daisy-duke” combo
that I still can’t get out of my mind. I don't know what's the deal with me and trailer trash but that's besides the point. Anyway, she came up to me and
practically begged that she be able to stay until June 8th because
she really has nowhere to go and had no idea Nicky's lease was up. I was planning to file on the 31st so
the court date would have been on the 8th anyway, but I told her
okay as long as she cleans up the place while she’s there. Gretchen then
complained of how dirty Nicky is and how she has bedbugs, and how Nicky never
told her that her lease was up. She also told me that Nicky was fired from her
job as an EMT and now collects unemployment, and that Nicky is barely in the
apartment anymore, coming by only to take clothes or take a shower. This gave
me an idea.
This morning I went to the city marshal’s office to
file an eviction. Instead of doing the 30-day notice eviction, I figured I
would do the non-payment eviction. I figured if Nicky is barely there anymore
and she’s unemployed, I can sue her for the rent owed for the month and get
some money out of it by garnishing her bank account. As I was filling out the forms, Gretchen called me and
said she had spoken with Nicky. Nicky told her that she never received a 30-day
notice and that she’s not leaving. FUCK!
I called my lawyer, Marvin Wassle, and asked him whether it’s better to do a non-payment eviction or a 30-day notice eviction. Marvin reminded me that, if I do a non-payment eviction and she could somehow come up with the money owed, then my case would be dismissed and I would have to file again for the 30-day notice one. I balked at the idea of her coming up with $800 while being unemployed, but then I remembered who I’m dealing with. Nicky is extremely resourceful and has a tendency to come up with rent money from out of nowhere. So I’ll have to file for a 30-day notice. Double FUCK!
I called my lawyer, Marvin Wassle, and asked him whether it’s better to do a non-payment eviction or a 30-day notice eviction. Marvin reminded me that, if I do a non-payment eviction and she could somehow come up with the money owed, then my case would be dismissed and I would have to file again for the 30-day notice one. I balked at the idea of her coming up with $800 while being unemployed, but then I remembered who I’m dealing with. Nicky is extremely resourceful and has a tendency to come up with rent money from out of nowhere. So I’ll have to file for a 30-day notice. Double FUCK!
Marvin also reminded me that I can’t file for a
30-day notice eviction (officially called a holdover eviction) until the new
month begins. This sucks, because the 1st is on a Friday, which
means I won’t get a court date until June 11th! (In Smalltown, a
tenant is usually given eight days to get things resolved before a court date. Since
the eighth day from the first is a Saturday, I have to wait until that Monday
the 11th to go to court.) I was so hoping for a court date on the 8th
so that I could have her out that weekend and have from the 11th
until the 15th to get the place rental ready. And once we go to
court the judge might actually give her until the end of the week to leave,
which would mean I have to deal with Nicky’s bullshit for 15 days!! Triple
FUCK!
I don’t understand people like Nicky. How does one
have a kid, a good job, and everything going for them just to screw everything
up in less than six months. Gretchen said that Nicky could always move back in
with her parents, so maybe her parents are enablers? Oh well, who cares. I’m
glad Gretchen gave me the heads up on how Nicky is planning to fight this, so I’ll
have someone on the inside feeding me information because Gretchen really seems
to hate Nicky. I knew Nicky wouldn’t go easily, but I am pissed that this is
gonna drag out halfway into June. Plus it’s gonna cost me to have Marvin take
the case. I was comfortable doing it myself, but it’s better to have Marvin
Wassle handle it just in case Nicky comes up with some way to defend that I can’t
respond to. As long as the wording and the address of the 30 day notice is
correct and she receives mail at that address, Marvin says that a judge usually
won’t give a shit what the tenant says. It also helps greatly that I have the
delivery confirmation proving that it was sent. So I’ll let the guy who’s been
doing evictions for 25 years handle it and watch from the courtroom seats. Better
to be safe than sorry I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment