Friday, May 4, 2012

Opportunity Through Stan


No Workout Tuesday

Max Cardio Conditioning (Wednesday)
47 out of 47 minutes. Getting easier to do.

No Workout (Thursday)

Max Interval Circuit (Today)
0 out of 59 minutes. I was about to do a workout until I got a call that some drunken idiot was walking around the garage, so no time to do the workout today. Will do all three workouts next week.


You know, I wasn’t feeling too good in April. After the whole tax thing and dealing with Nicky, I lost a bit of business motivation entering into May. Luckily for me, life chose this time to throw me a softball.

Stan, the upstairs tenant of property Beta, is leaving this month. He called me up yesterday to let me know that he had to leave this month because he just got a promotion at his job that will send him to Schenectady, NY. At first I was a little pissed off that I’ll be losing a tenant that has been with me since 2008, but then I remembered something. Property Beta is in the prestigious Eastling section of Smalltown, which means that I charge higher rents and get quality tenants. A two bedroom in Smalltown averages to about $600, but those same units in the Eastling area can be rented for $700. That’s $100 more than what Stan has been paying! But wait, it gets even better!

Property Alpha’s upstairs unit will be up for rent once Nicky leaves, hopefully before the end of May. If she leaves in time, I can tell those same quality tenants that apply to live in Beta’s upstairs unit about the upstairs of property Alpha! Doing the math averages about the same: Alpha’s upstairs unit is $850 with utilities included, while Beta’s upstairs will be $700, with average National Grid bills costing anywhere from $100 (summer and fall months) to $300 (winter months). Not to mention that, while Beta is in a better neighborhood and has more space for parking, Alpha has a massive backyard and an extra bedroom. There are pros and cons for both units, and those differences can help me get great tenants for them.

This plan mostly hinges on when Nicky and her animal friends will be leaving property Alpha. I’m still unsure as to whether they will leave before the 31st or make me take them to court and try to persuade the judge to let them stay longer. I doubt Nicky will make it easy for me but she has dealt with 30-day notices before with her former landlord, so maybe she knows she has to leave no matter what. Although Stan has been my tenant for over 3 years, I won’t miss him personally. He was a bit of a complaining asshole, but I have to respect him. When something was his fault he took responsibility for it. He paid his rent on time and kept the place clean. In the end, that’s all I can ever ask of a tenant.

No comments:

Post a Comment