Monday, April 30, 2012

Showers and Flowers


Insane Abs
33 out of 33 minutes. Brutal workout, especially on the thighs. I forgot how much stress ab workouts are on the thigh muscles. Will try to do this workout twice a week.

Usually at the end of the month I see whether or not I reached my quota, but that obviously won’t happen here. The $6,000 in taxes I had to pay demolished my goals to the point that I have to create new quotas to reach. If it weren’t for the taxes, I would have reached my 18k quota for this month. It’s a small consolation prize, but at least I know my plan was working. The new quotas should have me reach an overall balance of 30k by the end of October. The quota for May is 13k. It might sound easy, but there are several factors to take into play.

In May I have to pay water bills, I’ll be out $800 thanks to Nicky’s returned security deposit and, should Nicky leave before May is over, I’ll be paying for the repairs to get the place rental ready again. I’m very happy that this is the last month I’ll have to deal with Nicky. Even if she tries to stay past the May 31st deadline, I can file for eviction on June 1st and have her out by Monday, June 11th at the latest. The only defense Nicky might try is to lie and say that she never received a 30-day notice, but I have the Post Office receipt of delivery confirmation. They say it’s better to get the tenant to sign for it, but that’s just stupid. If no one is home, they leave a letter to come pick it up at the post office. If they don’t pick it up, the letter is returned to the sender and nothing is served. Delivery confirmation is best because it shows that the letter was delivered to the apartment where the tenant is residing. That’s usually enough for a judge with even the most feeble form of common sense.

So May’s quota is a 13k balance in my business checking account. June’s quota will be 16k, as I will be getting 5 paychecks that month. July’s quota will be 18k and August’s quota will be 21k, another 5 paycheck month. September’s quota will be 23k and finally October’s quota will be 25k. By then I should have over 6k in my savings account and that will have me reach my 30k goal. At some point in October, I have to put in the application for a commercial loan. It takes anywhere from 45 to 90 days to get an approval, and I have to get the commercial property before the end of 2012. This is not only because I need to retire on time, but also for tax reasons. If I can spend 30k on a property before the end of this year, that’s a 30k deduction for the tax year which means I might even get a tax return in 2013. If I have to wait to pay for the property in 2013 I’ll not only lose the 30k deduction, but I’ll also be saving up from January until March just to pay taxes. That’s a loss I simply can’t afford.

They say that "April showers bring May flowers", and I hope that's true in the metaphorical sense. The stuff I learned this month should make me much smarter in the long run. April was a wild month with a near eviction, playing hookie from the bank job, and an extremely hard $6,000 lesson in taxes. I’ve been lax in my real estate studies, focusing instead on learning Yoruba and Beachbody Insanity. With the last month of Beachbody in May, I have to find a balance to study at a steady pace. I’ll probably use this blog somehow to help with my study of real estate. A blogger I know has such detail on his blog his trials and tribulations in the stock market. The technical detail was very impressive and I can see how such detail can benefit me on this blog. April was a tough month but I survived.  Now I have to rebuild, as the race to get a commercial property before the end of this year intensifies.

No comments:

Post a Comment