Monday, April 16, 2012

Of Mouse and Man

Last week Tuesday I got home from work at midnight and couldn’t wait to go sleep. As I lay down I kept hearing a rustling, like there was some animal in my basement. I ignored it, hoping that I would fall asleep despite the noise, but the rustling got louder and louder. Finally I got up and realized it was a fucking mouse.

The mouse was scurrying all over the place and was making noise because there were so many papers and garbage on the floor. Knowing that I wouldn’t be able to catch the little bastard in my tired state, I decided to leave and get some sleep at the bank job’s abandoned building. Only getting an hour’s sleep, I looked around and realized how tired I was and how I couldn’t go through the day without some damned rest. So I made the decision to sneak out of work, go home and get some sleep. It was the first time I had ever done it, but it turned out to be one of the best days I ever had “working” at the bank. I got home and slept for a couple of hours. Then I woke up and started clearing out much of the garbage on the floor and especially under my bed. With food remains dating back to the Bush administration under my bed, it was no wonder that mouse was looking for some grub.

I was able to file and shred many of my documents, but I still have more papers to work on. With the temperature going to 90 degrees today in Smalltown, I’ll use today to finish up the cleaning. I don’t like being outside when it’s hot, and I still have to finish preparing my taxes. It’s funny how it took a girl from Wisconsin speaking Yoruba to get me learning my family’s native language, and a mouse running around to make me finally clean my basement for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment