Thursday, April 12, 2012

No Leeway for Fools

No Workout Tuesday or Wednesday
Still sore as hell from Monday’s full Max Interval Circuit workout, especially my legs. Should be ready to workout out Thursday.

Max Cardio Conditioning
2 out of 47 minutes. I started the workout then felt soreness at the back of the thighs. I’m not risking injury. I can’t believe my body still hasn’t fully healed from Monday’s workout! My upper body seems to be healed up so I’ll do an assortment of pushups and pull-ups tomorrow and start the Max workouts again next week. Goal is to complete two Max workouts a week, then three. Once I hit three full Max workouts a week, I should be in premium shape.


You know, I’m not a very smart person. I can talk like I’m smart but I know I’m not. The worst mistakes are the ones made twice, and I’ve done that. Nicky said she was going to pay $800 Monday but nothing has been received. It took me this long but I finally filed for Nicky’s eviction today. This is almost the exact same mistake I made last year April when I "trusted" my old tenant from the downstairs of property Chi, Laurie, to pay rent even though she had previously proven unreliable.

I should have filed at the beginning of the month. Bitch hasn’t paid rent since March 5th and yet I waited for no reason. The thought of having the $800 in my possession was enough for me to ignore common logic and postpone filing for eviction. How much of a mistake is this? If I had filed for her eviction on the 2nd of this month (like I was supposed to) instead of sending that stupid warning letter, I would have already went to court with her on the 9th and she would have been out by now. I could have a handyman in there working AS I TYPE THIS to have the place rental ready by the 23rd of this month. Instead, I have to wait until the 20th just to take her to court! When a tenant owes more than one month’s rent, I have to evict IMMEDIATELY! No warning letters or anything like that! No more leeway!!

Leeway has to be earned the same way friendships grow stronger—time and experience. The more time a tenant proves able to pay rent, the more leeway I can show when it comes to rent. I treated Nicky like I would Stan or Carver from property Beta. Carver has been my tenant for almost four years now and Stan has been with me for three. I give them leeway because I’ve come to know them. Our relationship did not come easy. In both cases I almost evicted them but they found a way to pay before the court date or honor the payment agreement. That promotes a certain amount of trust—about as much trust a landlord can have for a tenant. Nicky has failed every payment agreement I’ve drawn up. She violated the lease by bringing in a couple of welfare bums in my property. She’s one of the dirtiest tenants I’ve ever had. This is not a situation that requires trust. This requires going by the book and taking her at face value: worthless tenant.

I filed the eviction today and found out something new and cool about the eviction process. If a landlord pays for personal service and the city marshal tries to catch them but doesn’t, he can put on the file that he tried to serve it three times but no one would show. If taken to the right judge, I can still be granted a money judgment even if it wasn’t actually served! That basically cancels the Nicky Evacuation Plan so at least I won’t have to do anything illegal. I’m still a little pissed that it took me this long to evict her but I’m getting over it. Tomorrow she should be texting me crazy mad and it should continue until the court date. As long as her or her friends don’t do anything stupid to my basement or my car, I won’t care. I don’t trust them not to take it to that level, and that caution may have been one of the reasons I chose not to evict. Landlords can’t be bitches.

A perfect example of why Nicky has to leave sooner than later is this: On Monday I took out ALL the garbage on the porch that she put there, including that stinky mattress. The garbage guys came and picked it up. The VERY NEXT DAY she or her loser friends threw out more garbage in ripped bags. When I went to pick it up, cat litter and cat shit spilled out. That was the final straw. It was then that I realized that I had waited too long and should have evicted her the moment she owed $1199 on April 2nd. If a tenant hasn’t earned the trust for leeway, don’t give it! This had better be the last time I have to learn this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment