Thursday, May 10, 2012

Another Taxing Issue


I thought that my tax issues were finally resolved but I guess NY state and life aren’t done making me pay for the sins of that Nigerian moron that had been doing my taxes incorrectly for years.

I called the Department of Treasury to ask if I owed anymore money in taxes. They said that I still owe $2,200 in back taxes from 2010 because my tax return stated that I lived in NYC. So to live in NYC I have to pay $2000?! Thank God I don’t live there anymore. I don’t mind visiting there once in a while, but it has become far too expensive and counter-productive to maintain residence in NYC. Anyway, the treasury guy said that if I really didn’t live there in 2010 then I should do an amended tax return to state the correct address and then I won’t owe anything. The problem is that, if I do an amended tax return for 2010, won’t I also have to correct all the OTHER mistakes that the idiot made that will end up having me owe even more to the state?

I contacted my tax guy Ross today and asked if he can do 2 amended tax returns, one that will correct only the address, then another next year when I’ll actually have the money necessary to pay for all the mistakes made in the 2010 filing. Ross said that he can’t legally correct only mistake if he knows there are others. So I set up a time to meet with him tomorrow to amend the 2010 tax return. Whatever I owe I’ll just set up a payment plan with the state. I’ll at least have 2 tax returns (2010 and 2011) to show a bank that will prove that I can run a rental business, which will make it easier for me to be approved for a commercial loan. And I’m hoping to reach a payment agreement with the state for as low of an amount as possible, so that it won’t affect my monetary-rebuilding strategy that I outlined for the remainder of the year in the post I did last month called Showers and Flowers.

P.S.: I’m starting to wonder whether it was a smart idea to fully pay the $6,000 I owed in taxes last month. Had I entered into payment agreements, I could have had much more money set aside to purchase a commercial property sooner. I proposed the question to Ross who said I was better off paying everything at once, but I’m not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment