I’ll try very hard not to turn this into a rant. I’m
trying to limit rants on this blog to one per year. This year it was March’s
The Great Depression, and last year it was October's The Ties that Bind. So I’ll try, but it won’t be easy. Yesterday, my brother
Rex asked me for another $500, making it a full $1000 that I’d be lending him
in the past week. He said that he’s gonna pay me back on the 16th of
this month when he gets checks that he’s owed. My mom Rita said that she’s
coming down next weekend to store some personal items in property Chi, the
property that she owns but I manage. Then I went to property Alpha after work
to meet the pest control guy to find out how much it will cost to get rid of
the bedbugs that the Indians have. He looked at me and told me it will cost
$550 plus tax. Let me tackle the bedbug issue in this post, then the family
issue in the next one.
The pest control guy, first of all, was 45 minutes
late and didn’t even apologize for it. He looked through the rooms, looked at
the beds, then told me it would cost $550 plus tax to get rid of the bedbugs
with two free follow-up visits. I wanted to punch him in the face. Seriously, I
was standing in front of him and was weighing the consequences of punching him
right in the face. I told him that I would “discuss it with the tenants”. Once
he left I erased his number from my phone and then called Narish, the leaseholder
for the Indians. I told him that doing it professionally would cost too much,
so we would have to do it ourselves. I went to Home Depot and bought one of
those bedbug treatment jugs that have that little sprayer. I went back to the
property and sprayed through all the cracks in the bedroom floorboards, then
told Narish that he has to throw two of the three beds out on garbage day
(Monday). He didn’t mind since the beds were donations from Catholic Charities
and they can get replacements very easily.
He then asked about getting bedbug-proof mattress
covers for the new beds and when I can get them for him. I told him that the
bedbugs are his responsibility since it was his dirty ass relatives that came
over and gave him bedbugs… then I told him that I would chip in half. Why would
I do that if he’s responsible for the bedbugs in the first place? Simple. I
live in the basement. There are no sane tenants that would feel comfortable
with their landlord living directly underneath them, being able to hear
everything that they say and do. It saves me a TON of money not having to pay
for a living space (about $6000 per year), so I have to compromise with them
from time to time. When I move out of there, however, all bets are off! I’ve
known that pest control guy for almost two years now, and the fact that he
showed up 45 minutes late then had the nerve to quote an insanely high price
for something I can do myself REALLY pissed me off. What’s funny is that he
charged me much less last year when I had the bedbug problem in the upstairs of
property Chi. He treated the apartment but the bedbugs were still there. It was
the tenant that used roach bombs and cleaned her clothes
that finally got rid of the bedbugs, so fuck him.
So let’s compare: throwing out the
beds? Free. Buying the jug of bedbug treatment? $10 plus tax. Buying three new
bedbug mattress covers? $150, $75 of which I would cover. The tenants will be
responsible for throwing out & getting new beds and washing all their
clothes, so I end up paying about $90 for everything. He also showed me how he
tracked where the mice were coming from, and he used tools that I could get
easily online! With the advent of Do-It-Yourself tutorials on Youtube as well
as wholesalers selling the same products that the professionals use, that pest
control guy should be grateful that he still gets business! So screw him. From
now on if my tenants have a pest problem, ol’ Handyman Roger’s gonna take care
of it. I guess this goes along with my pledge to start doing things myself, so
I guess I should thank that asshole for forcing my hand. It’ll be worth it in
the end.
Keeping your property free of pests is important to a happy living experience. Even seeing one pest crawl across your counter is enough to disrupt you, let alone imagining hundreds or thousands that could potentially be living in the cracks and crevices of your home.
ReplyDeletesouthern utah exterminator
Recently a new legislation has come into force that regulates the Pest Control Technicians ability to use and apply chemicals when and where is necessary.
ReplyDeletePest Control Brisbane | Carpet Cleaning Brisbane
100% pest free house!! Is it possible now a days? I think its not. Preventive measures helps us by saving out valuable time and also money. Proper knowledge is must for controlling them.
ReplyDeletesuspend sc reviews
Wow, this is pretty impressive. I'd love to get an exterminator in Utah. Please tell me more about this 100% pest free house?!
ReplyDelete