Well, here we are: August 10th. Another birthday has come. Birthdays are usually the worst day of the year for me and, compounded with the way this week has been going, I should be on a ledge somewhere. It’s kinda weird that I’m not.
This week was about as bad as I predicted. Not having the $1000 that I lent to Rex in my bank account has been messing with my mind. Luckily there haven’t been any confrontations because I did my best to stay away from people this week, and I’ve been lucky to not have to work with Annabel this week at the shipping depot. Mentally, however, I’m just drained. Seeing that loss everyday takes a toll on my motivation. On Wednesday, things got so bad that I went to the prospective property Charlie (the one in Beautiful Valley) to get inspired, only to have that same nasty tenant come out and ask me what I’m doing there. When I said I was interested in buying the place she gave me the number of the landlord. The number, of course, turned out to be false. So best believe that if I get that property, my first order of business is to throw everyone out, especially her. She just looks like a landlord’s worst nightmare and I have to make sure that, before I get the property, I make sure that all the tenants are on month-to-month leases so that I can throw them out easily. If not, forget it. That’s a deal breaker.
Every birthday, I usually backtrack to see how far I’ve come since my last birthday. Thankfully, I have a blog for that. So this morning, I read every blog from last August’s The Birthday Boy post until now. In both cases I was recovering from a financial blow. Last year it was the thousands of dollars I spent pay off the creditors just to find out that I did it the wrong way. This year it was finding out that my former tax guy has been messing up my taxes since 2008, and I owe the IRS over 10k. I have to say that I’m somewhat satisfied with my progress. I mean, yeah, I don’t have the property that I was supposed to have since June, but I’ve learned a hell of a lot. I also notice that I bounce back from adversity pretty well, which is absolutely essential if I’m to do the kind of business that I’m planning. That cliché that goes: “It’s not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you can get back up” is true in this case. It would be nice, however, to get up and throw a punch or two when I get up. Punch one will be the purchase of property Charlie. Punch two will be the purchase of property Delta and my immediate retirement from all paycheck work. Knockout!
So I’m 31 today. There’s no celebration, no cake, no party, and there shouldn’t be. I have nothing to show for myself except for invaluable knowledge gained as well as a little bit more money in my bank account. I’m three months away from finally putting an offer down on my next property, but it’s not progress enough to celebrate. I don’t think I’ll truly be able to celebrate a birthday until I’m 33. By then, I should be retired from these security jobs and I’ll have the time to sit back and really enjoy life without having to go to “work”. Until then, it’s work, work, then work some more. By my next birthday, property Charlie should be fully rented out and I should be working on getting my next property, Delta. Having something to show for all that hard work makes a big difference, especially on days like today.
No comments:
Post a Comment