Friday, October 12, 2012

New Month, New Problems

What a crappy week. You know, ever since September started it has been one bad week after another. I don’t know when it’s gonna end, but it had better be soon or else I’ll be running a muck very shortly.

This month has been awful so far, and most of it has to do with property Chi. First it was the two refrigerators. That was a freak thing where both fridges messed up at the same time, and I should have had a refrigerator repairman take a look at it first. My fault for not having one, but I have a contact now. So the refrigerators were $500. On Wednesday, Hanna and Omar called me over to the upstairs apartment to sign a landlord form. They hooked that place up and it looks really swanky. I remember thinking, “All this expensive crap and they were haggling for $50 reduction in rent?” As I was leaving, Omarion wanted to see me in the downstairs apartment and said that their heat wasn’t working. The furnace would turn on, but no heat would come to the apartment. To top it off, the downstairs kitchen was infested with roaches. So THAT was where there roaches were coming from! Looking at those roaches was like a flashback to living in the Brooklyn apartment. We knew as kids never to go into the kitchen after midnight because the roaches owned the kitchen at that time. But this is Upstate/Central NY in a two family house, not a Brooklyn 6-story apartment building! There’s no reason for roaches here! Omarion said that he had been trying to take care of the roach problem himself, and I wanted to throw a big bottle of water at the side of his head.

I really like immigrants, but one of the things I can’t stand about them is the way they will let a problem get worse and worse before they call for help. The downstairs Indians of property Alpha did the exact same thing when they had bedbugs. I asked Omarion why he didn’t tell me about it earlier but he didn’t have an answer. Idiot. All this time I thought the Homos were just bullshitting and it turned out there really was an infestation. When I first hired the Pest Control guy to treat the upstairs apartment last month, I didn’t think to ask him to check the downstairs apartment because I assumed that the Africans would say something if they had roaches. This teaches me a lesson. From now on, if there is a roach problem, EVERY adjacent apartment gets searched. I’m not having this bullshit happen again. So replacing the furnace motor through my HVAC guy Gonzalez cost $425. The pest control guy will be there next week Wednesday so I don’t know how much he’s gonna charge. I'll pay for it this time, but I'm telling Omarion the next time he has to pay for it. He can't blame it on any other tenants because the Africans occupy the whole house. So already, for the month of October, I’ve spent $925 on repairs. Looks like Rita won’t be getting any profits this month and November. Hell, if there are any more expenses, she may not get anything for the rest of the year!

Aside from property Chi, I also have to deal with Alpha’s furnace which is making a very loud clanking noise whenever the heat tries to turn on. The tickets for the Thanksgiving trip was $258, $50  more than it was a couple weeks ago when I was trying to get Sha’s wife Sonya to find me a discount since she works at JetBlue. She never got back to me and I waited too long. On Tuesday at the shipping depot job, Annabel had a cold and couldn’t stop coughing and wheezing. It took me two days to get rid of her cold, and now I have to go back there today to deal with her irresponsible ass again. (I won’t go into yet another rant about how much I hate people who come to work and give me their nasty ass colds, but I will say this: If you come to work with a cold and you know you’re gonna be working in closed quarters with someone, at least have the damned decency to cover your disgusting mouth or go outside when you cough, you dumb animal.) I can’t seem to find that pension form that I need to get my $3600 pension payout. I didn’t have time to buy the tires or buy the PO Box this week, so I’ll have to do it next week. Carver called me this morning and will have to go on a payment plan: $350 every other week from the 19th of this month until the 16th of November. Has ANYTHING GONE RIGHT THIS WEEK??!!

The only thing I can’t bitch about was my gym workouts on Monday and Wednesday, which were brutal but very good. My legs are beginning to look like mini tree-trunks. Oh, and I found some old songs that I haven’t heard in a long time on one of my laptops. I found some alternative rock from the 90s, DMX, Metallica, Rusted Root, Ice Cube, Biz Markie, the Monster Mash, and some soundtracks to old video games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage 2. Listening to those old songs have really been the bright spot in an otherwise horrible week. You know, it’s like the closer I get to buying property Charlie, the more problems I seem to run into. Well, fuck it. I gotta keep going and learn whatever lessons I can.

The biggest lesson I learned this week is to make sure to check all adjacent apartments when a tenant has roaches. Just because they don’t show up too much in an apartment doesn’t mean they aren’t there. The little fuckers have to come from somewhere (and most of the time it’s from a tenant, not from the outside). I also learned that I have to have money set aside before the beginning of every winter to have my furnaces checked, buy salt, and whatever else I need for winter prep. The more properties I get, the more money I have to set aside. I’m just happy that it’s Friday. Let this week of a thousand debts END already!

No comments:

Post a Comment