Monday, October 1, 2012

October At Last

Thank goodness September is over. Attempted robbery, lost rent, roaches, shot alternator, lost keys, disorganization, wasted overtime… it was just a bad month all around. Whoever made that month should be shot. I ended up with a balance of $14,219 which means that I actually lost $78 for September. Ugh, that’s just terrible but I’m hoping for MUCH better in October. Unfortunately this month is not starting off on a good note.

Umar (Hanna’s husband) of property Chi called me to say their refrigerator wasn’t working. I remember a few months ago they said it wasn’t working and, when I went over there, it was working fine so I wasn’t worried. Then I took a look at the fridge yesterday in the downstairs apartment and that thing is dead. No lights, no motor, nothing. So I have to take care of that. When I left, Umar called me again and told me that the refrigerator he was referring to was the one in HIS apartment, not the one downstairs. Just my luck! So I went up there and the refrigerator isn’t blowing cold air. I had that problem happen before at property Beta and the cost to fix it was more than the refrigerator costs. Normally I would call a repair guy, but in Smalltown there’s really only one appliance repair guy that does work for cheap and I don’t like him. He has a major attitude and takes forever to get to a property. So I decided to buy two used refrigerators this morning from Markus’s Appliances, the only place in Smalltown that sells quality used appliances. The cost for both refrigerators with delivery and removal of the two existing ones is $500. So I guess my mom Rita won’t be getting her $400 profit this month, and I start October already down $100.

This month’s 17k quota will be very difficult to reach, but not impossible. I simply have to keep costs low and not make any stupid decisions like I did in September. I learned a lot in September and I won’t make those mistakes again. The only expenses I have this month are the National grid bill and the $200 for the State and Federal taxes. Libby from property Beta called me on Friday to say that the kitchen faucet is messed up, so I bought another one and Carver will replace it today. Quick and simple, that’s the plan. I just have to make sure I follow it.






P.S: I have to start using Angie's List and Craigslist to find some capable repairmen. While I don't have too many properties, now is the perfect time to get a reliable group of handymen on call so that I can have appliances repaired rather than replaced, which costs a hell of a lot more. I didn't have time to try anyone out because the Africans needed a refrigerator NOW. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment