Friday, November 23, 2012

Brooklyn Trip: The Boys

So I got off the plane Monday night and Nino was there at JFK to pick me up. He had this new (used) BMW that he bought his mom, and it felt kinda neat to be picked up in a beemer. From then, the Brooklyn trip began.


Hibachi Style
We went to the Korean restaurant San Soo Kap San and it was awesome. They made the food Hibachi-style and the taste was exquisite. From there we had some Carvel ice cream then drove to Williamsburg in Brooklyn for a couple drinks. I couldn't believe how quickly Williamsburg became the new Village. Afterwards, we went to his house for games, mostly Street Fighter and Madden 2012. The next morning I woke up to morning talk shows like Maury and Jerry Springer. I couldn't help smiling, remembering those "unemployed days" when I would wake up and watch nothing but TV until the evening. We went to get breakfast from the corner store, run by an Indian guy that hates white people. Because he was a racist, we knew he was gonna make us some good food and he didn’t disappoint. We went back for lunch and I had basmati rice with goat curry. For a corner store, the food was restaurant quality and we let him know by leaving a generous tip. I love it when racism works in my favor. After beating each other up for an hour, Nino’s mom came home and we talked about real estate, as she’s a landlord as well. Once it was around 7pm, I said my goodbyes and Nino took me to Brooklyn Mike’s house.
Waking up to trash TV
Racist Rice and Goat Meat


Chinese Food Done Right
Brooklyn Mike’s house was exactly as I remember it from when we were kids. We went to get Chinese food and, after 4 years, I finally had my favorite order: Boneless Chicken w/ chicken fried rice, no vegetables with hot sauce and ketchup on the boneless chicken. It was a taste that brought back a lot of great memories in college when my broke ass had to scrounge for change so I could get the Chinese food $3.25 special. We watched Star Trek Voyager then played games until we passed out. Wednesday morning started off with a bang when Brooklyn Mike took out the Lucky Charms and the Reese’s Puffs cereal boxes. I devoured that stuff, having 4 bowls of Lucky Charms followed by 3 bowls of the Reese’s. We played video games (Warriors Orochi 3) until lunch time, where we went to our favorite spot from back in the day, Luigi’s Pizzeria at the Flatbush Junction. After eating we played more games until 9:30pm, and then it was time to go to my mom’s place.




First of 4 Bowls
First of 3 Bowls
Hanging out with Brooklyn Mike and Nino was great. Even though it felt weird being there while they still live with their moms, I like the fact that they haven’t changed personality-wise. They’re the same people and I wish I could have stayed longer at their houses. I got to download movies with their fast internet connections, eat cereal and boneless chicken for the first time in almost 5 years, I slept whenever I felt like it, and I got to play good games with good people. I couldn’t ask for more, and the fact that I can have this experience whenever I want when I retire is one that will definitely provide motivation when I get down.

No comments:

Post a Comment