Friday, March 8, 2013

Jimmy Loses Brakes, I Don't Care

You know, one of my favorite shows that I downloaded and watch over and over again is Married with Children. In season 9 they did an episode called “Luck of the Bundys”. Al begins to go through a lot of good luck, which scares him because he knows that with all the good things happening to him, he’s going to acquire a substantial amount of bad luck. He called it the “Bundy Curse”. Well, call me Roger Bundy.

Aside from when I bought properties Alpha and Beta, this has to be the best weeks I’ve ever had in Smalltown. Everything I wanted to happen has happened, and that made me nervous. I qualified for the mortgage. CFB Mortgage’s Kirsten was able to get me locked in at an interest rate of 4.625%, lower than the 5.00% she originally offered. I was also finding things, like my passport, and Ola’s memory card that contained all of his important school documents. Normally, when I lose things I never get them back. So I was a bit nervous that my week was going to end on a bad note, as life seems to have that type of pattern. As usual, life did not disappoint.

I was driving home from work yesterday and decided to stop off at Rite-Aid to pick up new filters for my water bottle. As I was stepping on the brakes, I didn’t feel any resistance and had to push the brake pedal all the way to the floor just to stop. Then I heard a loud clunk as I was driving. Then the “brake” light came on. I pulled over and looked at the back of my car and realized that something was missing. I dunno what it was, but the bottom of the car just looked incomplete. Because I was near Monro Brakes and didn’t want to take the chances of driving any further without brakes, I had no choice but to take the GMC Jimmy in. Ugh. Serves me right for listening to that guy who told me I could drive it fine as long as I don’t use the 4 wheel drive. My mistake. So it looks like I’ll have to pay over $1000 to get all that crap fixed. But here’s where things got interesting.

I had to take a cab home and, during the ride, I couldn’t get a smile off my face. I mean, I really couldn’t get it off. I went home, watched season 4 of Daria, and then went to sleep. This morning I had to walk to work, which meant I had to walk through Butterscotch Street. I was on high alert because of what happened last time I walked down that street, and the fact that I left my trusty Iraqi Freedom knife in my GMC Jimmy. But the same guy wasn’t there and it was a nice walk. I was fully expecting to come into work today and write a massive rant about how I have to spend so much on this and that, but I’m really not angry at all. I have the money to fix the Jimmy. And, with all the good things that happened this week, my ego can take a hit like this. I’m just hoping the bad luck ends with the Jimmy, as I still have to go through the mortgage process and the dreaded appraisal is up next.

I was almost fooling myself into thinking that I should keep the Jimmy and hope that nothing else goes wrong, but I know better. Once I get it back and I get the title from the DMV, I’m driving to Brooklyn and trading it in for a better SUV. I’ll explain this all in a later post, but the point of this post has nothing to do with my next vehicle. I’ve become so focused on my real estate ambitions that everything else doesn’t seem like a big deal anymore. That’s a big victory for something like me. I can still buy a good SUV and have property Charlie and 10k in the bank by the end of May. This means I still have a shot at having $30,000 by the end of the year. So long as I can still reach that goal, I’ve got little reason to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment