Monday, May 27, 2013

The Tenants of Property Charlie: Kylie Gotta Go

Currently, property Charlie is fully occupied. The first tenant is Chucky, an 84 year old war veteran who’s been living in that same apartment for 43 years. Next is Thomas, a weird guy with a cat who has his apartment full of shit. Then there’s Rory and Brie. There’s something wrong with Brie so she doesn’t work, and I haven’t spoken to Rory yet but it appears he’s out of work as well. And finally there’s Kylie Ray, the toothless obese tenant who still owes $410 for this month. She was supposed to pay everything on Saturday but, surprise surprise, she paid nothing.

On Saturday morning I called Kylie Ray to confirm our appointment, and she wasn’t even there. Her son picked up the phone to tell me his mom had said that she can pay everything by the 6th of June. I just called her son right now, and he told me that I should call her tomorrow at 3pm. So, let me get this straight: she’s the one that owes me money, and I have to be the one to call her? Bitch must think I’m new at this. I told her son to tell her that she has to call me before Wednesday because “we” can’t wait until the next month to receive back rent. I gave him my number and that was that. I made an unwritten rule about back rent a while ago. Back rent must be paid before the end of the month in which it’s owed, followed by a plan to make steady payments in the future. I can see that I’ll probably have to throw this worthless animal out, so I’ll email Marvin Wassle about the situation tomorrow morning. It’s a shame too, because her son seems nice.

I got a call from Rory this morning, asking if I can come by Wednesday to sign landlord forms (food stamps). I agreed, and then asked about his financial situation. He said that both he and Brie are out of work. Brie is looking to get on PA (public assistance) and SSI (supplemental security income) -- ugh, never thought I’d hear those terms again--, and he’s been looking for work for three months while also applying for PA. I asked him how he’s been able to pay rent for the last three months, he said he’s been using his savings. He then asked if I can accept rent for June when I come over on Wednesday. My eyes lit up and I agreed, as long as it’s in check/money order form.

So let me understand this: Rory and Brie haven’t worked for three months, yet they’re able to pay rent early. But Kylie Ray has been working for 3 years at the same place and she can’t make the back rent?  Oh, I am definitely throwing Kylie’s worthless ass out if she doesn’t have my money by Wednesday morning. No phone tag. No promises. It’s either my money, or the eviction gets ordered. My hope was to keep all the tenants in and stabilize the rent situation in a compromise. That can still happen, but I’ll have to get rid of Kylie and fix up her apartment in order to do that. I think I was fair, letting Kylie set the date to pay. She said the 25th. I was there and she didn’t even have the balls to face me, passing messages along through her poor son who has that thing as a mother. She broke the agreement and I’m ready to evict. The faster I get her out, the easier it’ll be to get the place ready in time for a new tenant before the end of June.Her little games may work with landlords that don't know any better, but she's nothing new to me. I've seen the same game before and I know how to play it. Kylie Ray will find that out very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment