Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Too Tired For a Clever Title

Last week Tuesday, I was up from 3:45am until 7:00pm Wednesday. On Thursday I got 4 hours of sleep as I drove from Brooklyn back to Smalltown. Friday I worked 16 hours at both jobs. Saturday and Sunday I worked 12 hours each at the shipping depot. Monday I worked 12 hours at the bank job. Yesterday I worked 16 hours at both jobs. It’s safe to say that my body is exhausted and I cannot wait to finally get some sleep after work today. My body's aching all over and I've been bumping into things all morning.

The issue with the MDX has been resolved. Wally’s Auto gave me some mumbo jumbo about closing the gas cap tight, but I think they messed something up when they did work to my car the first time. The MDX was driving like crap when I took it in Tuesday. They do nothing to it and all of a sudden it drives nice and smooth? I think they messed up but can’t admit it because it would hurt their great reputation. I can understand that, but I just wish I could be compensated somehow. Walking to work was very annoying yesterday. Anyway, they’re now replacing the AC compressor just in time for the hot weather that starts tomorrow. By the end of today, I shouldn’t have anymore major issues with my precious MDX. The last thing I need to do is install a remote starter. Wally’s Auto doesn’t recommend it, as they recommend leaving the car as is to avoid electrical issues in the future. They said if I absolutely must have a remote starter, make sure to get it from a reputable installer and make sure it’s not a cheap one. The cheap starters are usually the ones that cause electrical problems for a vehicle.

As far as property Charlie tenant Kylie Ray goes, I’m sending her a 30-day notice by certified mail today. I asked my lawyer Marvin Wassle about 30 day notices and evictions:

Me: If I file an eviction and she comes up with the $410 before the court date, then I've wasted $75. Is there a way I can send her both an eviction and a 30-day notice so that, even if she comes up with the money, I can still work towards throwing her out?

Marvin: Yes, if she is a month-to-month tenant you need to send her a notice this week, i.e, before May 31st that you have elected to terminate her month-to-month tenancy and that this is notice of termination.  If she is not evicted for no-payment first, she would have the right to stay through the end of June.

Me: Very well. As long as I can send both the eviction notice and the 30-day notice at the same time, it should be fine. I can do that, yes?

Marvin: yes.

Love that guy. I was always curious about what happens when a tenant is given a 30 day notice but refuses to pay rent during that time. The most common excuse is this:

"Well why should I pay you when I’m being thrown out anyway?! I can use this money for my new apartment. Go fuck yourself."

As long as a tenant is in my apartment on the 1st of any month, rent is owed. It’s nice to know that I can evict them during their 30-day notice period. So I’m sending the certified notice today. The eviction filing, however, will wait until Monday. If I file an eviction now, I can only demand the $410 she owes me. If I wait until Monday, June 3rd, I can demand June’s rent as well for a total of $935 ($525 + $410). I don’t want to file an eviction today, then she comes up with the money before the court date, and then I have to file again in June when she doesn’t pay. That’s a waste of eviction money. The best part about this is that I’m holding her to her word. She said she can pay everything on the 6th, right? So, if she pays the full $935 by the 6th, then there’s no need to go to court. See? I always leave room for fairness, although I highly doubt she will pay it. Never say never though. I still remember when I had a similar situation with my old tenant Nicky, and she surprised the hell out of me.

One of the things that make me happy about this whole situation is that my plan is working. Thomas already mailed in his rent for June (big smile on my face when I opened the mailbox and saw that), I’m picking up rent from Rory and Brie today, and Chuck should have his check ready by Monday. The tenants of property Charlie are conforming better than I expected. My plan would have been perfect if that toothless animal Kylie Ray got with the program, but sometimes things don’t work out 100%. Once Kylie’s gone, I should have enough money to have her place renovated and get a new tenant in there before the end of June. Then I can start saving for property Delta. All that, however, is in the future. Right now, I… need… some… SLEEP!

No comments:

Post a Comment