Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Unfortunate Rent

Fuck! I just came back meeting the upstairs tenant of property Alpha, Nicky, at the Chase bank across the street from my bank job. She… she paid her full balance of $1270. I have never been so disappointed to receive money...

For a while, I was almost sure that she had packed her stuff and ran off before the deadline expired, which would have made it easy for me to start the Nicky Evacuation Plan. I texted her this morning to see how the loan was going and she didn’t text me back for a while. I figured that, considering the desperation of her situation, she must be avoiding me or she would have responded immediately. I even made preparations to go to the sheriff’s department to file! Then she texted me at around 4:40pm to let me know that her loan was approved. I was surprised that Empower even gave her the money. I was right in my earlier assessment that she would not qualify for a loan because she didn’t. However, I was also correct about another assessment that a girl who looks like Nicky will always have options. When she knew she wasn’t going to be approved, she persuaded an ex-boyfriend to be a cosigner for the loan. And that was that.

Believe me, I can see the comedy in this. Maybe tomorrow I will wake up, read this post, and chuckle at the idea of a landlord being disappointed that his tenant paid the rent. But I tend to look at things from a long-term perspective. Yes, she has paid the rent owed but I’m still be stuck with the same fiscally irresponsible Nicky. Tenants like her will always have trouble paying the rent so we will definitely have issues in the future. I was so ready to throw her out! I’m also a little disappointed that I wasn’t able to try out my Evacuation Plan. Illegal as it may have been, I was still curious to see if it would work. Ah well, what can I say? I got my money. A tenant paid a landlord and I should be happy that I came out of this on top. But if I’m $1270 richer, why can’t I shake the feeling that I somehow lost?

P.S,: I finally finished writing up my quotas from March until June, but since I’m leaving work in a half hour I’ll save that for tomorrow’s post.

No comments:

Post a Comment