I started something last year that I’m planning to make an annual tradition. I have to admit that it’s quickly becoming the one day of the year I look forward to the most—more than rents and holidays and whatever. Tomorrow is Blackout Day!
Last year I had an issue with my Straight Talk phone service a few days after Independence Day. I was stuck with no phone and nothing to do. I started grabbing at my phone, desperate for anything to listen to or watch. After a while, I stopped and wondered what life would be like if I didn’t have a phone or a laptop or anything. Surely people were able to survive without it, so what would happen if I was stuck with… me? So I turned off my phone, closed my laptop, lay down on my bed, and Blackout Day was born. On Blackout Day, I don’t use my phone, watch movies, go on the internet, meet with people, play video games, listen to music or anything like that. This day is all about spending time with the one person in life that I love more than anyone else: me.
Because Blackout Day starts at midnight tonight, I’ll have to take care of any urgent business today. Ola wants to go to the gym so I’m gonna go after work. I haven’t been to the gym ever since I got property Charlie and I really miss it. The hot water tank at property Alpha isn’t working, as the pilot light won’t stay on. I may call my HVAC guy Gonzalez to repair it, or else I’ll have to wait until Friday. The Indians don’t seem to mind and I kinda like taking cold showers, so I may just wait. Once I pick up rent from Hanna and the Africans, I can go to sleep and wake up at 11:30pm. Once I get to work… blackout! If a tenant calls with a problem, they’re out of luck until Friday. I won’t even bring the phone with me, as I find it a massive temptation. Sometimes I can’t believe how attached I am to that thing.
I’ll probably spend Blackout Day writing on paper, organizing my future real estate goals. Then I’ll probably just get lost in thought until the day is done. If all goes as well as I think it will, Blackout Day will surpass Halloween as my favorite holiday of the year… and it’ll be all mine.
P.S.: Come to think of it, Blackout Day is kind of like Independence Day. It's a celebration of independence from all things that aren't me. After all, what's the point of continuously improving myself if I can't comfortably exist without the things in life that aren't a part of me?
No comments:
Post a Comment