Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Educating Roger

I've finally started to take advantage of the jobs that I have. With most security jobs, there's much time to study whatever you want. At the bank, I can't do too much research thanks to Sandra and her annoying ways. The shipping depot, however, is a different story.

Between pat-downs and logging in and out trucks, I spend the rest of my time at the shipping depot on my phone's internet reading the news, sports scores, Wikipedia, etc. Now that I've dedicated myself to getting smarter in the real estate game, I've been studying up on the steps to purchasing a home, credit fixing, insurance loopholes, taxes, understanding HUD-1 forms and anything else that I can think of. It's been great and it's something I should have been doing a long time ago. It would have saved me much time and aggravation.

For example, I wrote in a very early blog ("To Refuse a Friend", I think) about a property I bought from a guy named Paul Maddox. It was a single family property on the South side of town (horrible area) and I was encouraged to buy it from a real estate agent I trusted, Joey Nigga. It was only 33k so I only had to put a little under 4k to purchase it, and it looked like a great way to make money at the time. At closing, Nigga and his lawyer presented the HUD-1 form, the form that you sign that details all the transactions that will be taking place to purchase the property. He presented everything to me and I signed it. Everything looked right and I trusted Joey. As it turned out, he purposely left the section that detailed his commission blank. After I signed it and left, he put his own amount on it and got 10k out of that 33k deal instead of $300 or so that most agents would get from a small deal like this. If I had educated myself in HUD forms and things of the sort, I would have been able to catch it and would owe Paul Maddox considerably less than I do now.

I also decided to use the free time at my jobs to help someone in need. My best friend Mike's little brother, Robby, is having trouble in school. He averaged a 65 last year and will be a junior in high school starting September. I told him that if he has any problems to email me and I'll help him out. I also told him that he has to get an 80 average or better and I'll buy him an Xbox 360 for Christmas. Mike's family and I are very close even though we barely ever talk. He's always been like a little brother to me and I'd like to help him. Besides, a teacher will always want to teach. I miss teaching kids and I'll never forget the amazing feeling I would have when a kid would understand a formula or something because of me. I'll always want to teach, even if I no longer work for the Board of Education. It never goes away.

By the way, Maddox decided not to sue me for the money I owed him, allowed me to default, and took back his property. He can always sue me later, so I try to stay off his radar. As for Joey Nigga, I'm still planning to get him back. At the time, I was going to screw his daughter and take pictures, but she moved out of town for college before I got the chance. You know, I was afraid that educating myself would be boring, but it's fun since I'm learning things that will help me be a better investor. Helping Robby out will also be fun because it helps me develop the teaching skills that I forgot about when I started this real estate adventure. Smarter is better, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment