Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Starting Over From Scratch

I've been learning a lot since I've adopted my new policy of learning the ins and outs of real estate and financing while at the bank job. It's such a shame that I hadn't thought of studying at work before. I could have saved myself a hell of a lot of money and headache.

Financially, I'm basically starting from scratch. My debts should be cleared up by the end of next week, but I will have very little money at the end of this month. I'm applying for two secured credit cards tomorrow that will cost me about a thousand dollars. Secured credit cards provide the best way to build up credit, but your credit line comes from your pocket. Say you want a credit limit of $500. You have to give them $500 out of your own pocket to store for you as credit. The first card will be from Bank of America, while the second will most likely be from a local bank. I found out that the bank my ex-girlfriend, Marla, works at has a very good deal on those type of cards. But I'll save that as a last resort. If I can find a bank that will front me the line of credit, then that will cut those initial expenses in half. Also, I will be paying off the remainder of my debts with next week's pay checks. With any luck, I would like to have at least 2k by the end of July.

I've also been doing very well in the spending department. I went from spending over $40 a day on food to just over $10 a day. I'm hoping I can keep this up long term, but it will take some discipline. I went to the supermarket to buy food and drinks for my mini-refrigerator, and I had to stand in line waiting for the welfare people to finish using my tax money to keep themselves fat. I no longer get mad about it, but it was interesting to see me spend $30 for my stuff and anyone with a Benefit card spend at least $200 for themselves. The real test will come on the weekends, when I'm sitting at the shipping depot on 12 hour shifts. My idea is to buy a big ass sandwich for the afternoon, then light healthy snacks and trail mix for the rest of the day.

It's very humbling to start from scratch when I was so close to purchasing another property this year. I'll feel much better at the end of December when I will hopefully have over 15k in my account, two credit cards in good standing, two mortgages in good standing, and maybe even a new job if I get lucky. As humbling and depressing as it might feel to start over, it feels great knowing that I'm doing it right this time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Roger,

    I've been reading through some of your older posts and I noticed we have some similarities. We both have ambitious goals for financial freedom and we both started our blogs years ago only to stop, start again, stop again and finally come back strong in 2011. And I too recently, had to pause my journey to essentially start from scratch after seeing some initial success. I will definitely keep an eye on your progress and I wish you the very best on your path to success.

    ReplyDelete