Friday, April 15, 2011

New Problem, New Solution

I'm not sure if I can explain all the things that happened last night in one blog. But I do know that I've only had three hours of sleep as a result of the stress. I'll summarize then write separate blogs for each issue.

First, Laurie is throwing some real punches now. She called code enforcement for the upstairs tenant as well, so now I may have a real issue. Plus, I forgot to date her copy of the lease which she may be able to get listed as an invalid lease. I researched it online and it said that as long as she paid rent, then the lease is valid, regardless of the date. I'll have to see what my lawyer says to make sure. But, should code enforcement put codes on the upstairs tenant's (her sister Annie's) apartment, then Annie will have to leave as well. This scenario is bad because it means that, for at least 2 months, I'll have to pay the mortgage myself. However, this can also be very good because it would mean that I will have finally gotten rid of my last Public Assistance tenants, hopefully by the end of May or at the latest the end of June (in case I lose the case against Laurie). So, in reality, it's not too big a problem. Besides, had Annie stayed, Laurie would have a reason to come to the property and harrass the new tenants. Moving Laurie into Property Chi might have been the best thing for me, both in terms of learning a lesson and getting rid of all my assistance tenants.

The roof is the major issue and I don't see myself paying to get it fixed. Rita, the owner of the property, comes up on Wednesday and I have to let her know that I can't pay 5500 (the lowest estimate I can find) on my own, while still chasing my dream of getting a property this year. If she wants to go in half, that's fine I guess. It'll hurt my wallet, but that's what family does for each other. I would much rather have her take her property to another property management company, but I know she'd never see a dime and they'd rake her over the coals. Rita has it good right now. She doesn't have to pay for repairs and she gets her property managed, her mortgage paid, plus all the profits. I hope she sees that and understands why she has to pay for the roof and not complain that she isn't making enough off the property.

Property Chi has been a pain in my ass since Rita bought it. A part of it may have been the people that I've had in there recently, but for the most part they've been pretty good. Annie and Laurie should be a lesson to myself and ALL LANDLORDS to never rent to a Public Assistance tenant ever. Old people on assistance? Maybe. A 24 year old with 5 kids? Maybe NOT. It will be expensive to kick them out, pay the mortgage by myself for a month or two, and still stay on my target to buy a good property by the end of the year. But, if done correctly, I can recoup some of the losses through the new tenants security deposits and things can be smooth again. It's difficult to find good tenants for Property Chi's neighborhood. But I've done it many times before, even though it takes a little longer. I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment