Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Tale of Two Rogers

I spoke with my brother Rex yesterday afternoon and told him about this blog. I wasn't sure it was a good idea at first, but I soon realized that it's okay for him and only him to read this blog. Rex and I share a very extreme undefinable connection (one that I don't quite understand), and having him read this blog doesn't make me feel like holding back my words in any way. I can't say that about anyone else on this planet, so he's the solitary exception to this blog that reads it with me knowing about it.

I've begun to realize that I act differently at my two jobs. At the bank, I'm crude and joke around a lot and make my co-workers laugh. At the shipping depot, I'm friendly but will never speak unless spoken to.

The bank is in the city and has a lot of business folk passing through. It has a very business setting but I don't have to interact with any of them. I say my "good mornings" and "afternoons" and they go to do their work. I walk around in the parking garage and keep myself busy and away from the business crowd. I joke around with my co-workers because it's harmless and it helps time go by. There is a clear distinction between the guards and the clients so we make fun of them and it keeps the focus off of me. There's no time for rumors because clients are simply passing by to go to work.

The shipping depot job is out in the country, about 15 miles away from Smalltown, NY. It's chock full on truck drivers, hillbillies, and gossip queens. There is no distinction between guard and client, so your business is everyone's business. Everyone interacts with each other in a very deceptively laid back atmosphere. Rumors there can spread to management and you can get fired very easily. I don't speak too much and I try not to let anything personal about me get out. There have been times where I've worked with someone for 8 hours straight without saying a word. I go online to do research, look at sports news, CNN, Youtube, or write a blog entry on my phone to pass the time at my shipping depot job.

I don't bother trying to let myself be known or be a shining star. At these jobs I find it best to be whatever I have to be in order to get the job done and make the time go by. There is no loyalty to morals or personality because none of that matters. The only thing that matters is getting the paycheck and creating a comfortable environment for me to continue working at whichever job with as little trouble as possible. There's no need to get personally or emotionally invested in anything at any job, as it causes unnecessary variables. The job gets the check. The check gets the savings. The savings get the new property. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment