Saturday, June 11, 2011

Renting Out Property Chi: Take Three

Sha and I joke around that Syracuse handymen are like tissue: you use them once, then throw them in the garbage. I'm not sure why they're like this but they are, as the many handymen that I've hired and fired all fit this description. I can now add Joe Dockers to that list.

In the last two weeks, Joe has done little to nothing. He took out one toilet and scraped and painted some porch steps. That's it. Ten workdays of excuses and it's enough already. I'm not sure what he's doing with his free time, but he's outlived his usefulness. He's lingering around looking for more things to fix and not finishing the work that needs to be done in the first place. I got tired of showing an unfinished unit for the past three weeks and decided to cancel all my appointments for this weekend. I called Joe Dockers and told him he has until Monday to finish everything. Like all Smalltown handymen I've hired in the past, they start off good but end up lacking, lazy and disappointing. And, like Sha's workers, I'll have to end up finishing the job myself.

Due to the third consecutive weekend failing to rent out Chi, I decided to make today my "cheat day" for P90X. Every month I give myself a cheat day where I eat whatever I want in a responsible manner. But today was different and I wanted to binge eat. I locked up property Chi and ate six slices of pizza: three plain, one with extra cheese, and two with pepperoni. That was my breakfast. For lunch I had McDonald's: six cheeseburgers, two hamburgers, a McChicken and a Big Mac. For dinner, I plan to eat a foot long chicken parmesan sandwich and chicken riggies.

I had two choices in this matter, when incompetence stared me right in the face and said "hi". I could have gotten mad and been in a bad mood for the rest of the day, maybe even went to Joe Dockers house and set him on fire then put the fire out with a baseball bat. But I'm used to Smalltown incompetence by now, so it doesn't bother me anymore. Like I said after last weekend's debacle, I'm not worried. All of next week will be spent getting property Chi finished and rented out next weekend, with or (most likely) without Joe Dockers' help. Sha's roof guy starts Monday and I'll have to decide if I want code enforcement come in to get rid of all the bogus code violations in the building. They have a habit of wanting to find things wrong rather than find things right. But for right now, I'd like to whistle the Andy Griffith theme, watch movies on my netbook at my shipping depot job, and wait for the delivery man to bring my precious dinner. Perfect end to a ridiculous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment