I went to visit the Africans' current apartment and the daughter, Hanna, gave me a partial, non-refundable security deposit of $200, so it looks as if property Chi's downstairs apartment is finally rented out. There was, as usual, an interesting hitch to the Africans.
I wanted to have everything signed at their place so that I could see how they lived, and they live clean. The other brothers were there but not the oldest one, so I couldn't have the lease signed since it will be in his name. I had a feeling that there was some tension having to do with either my presence there or me getting the money or something. But she signed the security deposit form and I was out the door.
Hanna called me about an hour after I left, saying that her family didn't trust me too much and wanted to know about my property management company, the owner of the house, etc. I was wondering why they wouldn't trust me and then it hit me-- I'm Nigerian. Nigerians are about as trusted in Africa as car salesmen are here in the States. Our stereotype is that we're arrogant, scamming, corrupt sons of bitches that think our shit don't stink. We think we're the boss of everyone and are the inventors of the now famous "419 scam". So Hanna asked her questions and I answered them cordially, telling her also to call me if she has any other questions. I didn't want to cause further unease, so I didn't push for them to sign the lease or any of the other papers. They'll sign all the paperwork on Thursday when they come to see the finished apartment.
I don't mind their prejudice towards me, as my future dealings with them should ease their worries. I'll pay special attention to their calls for the first couple of months, and that should set their fears down. But I have to admit that I feel like I'm being attacked from all sides here. The white people think I'm a nigger. The black people think that I'm stuck up since I have properties and some form of ambition. Now the Africans think I'm a shifty Ferengi looking to take their money and run. No wonder it's more difficult for a black male to make it!
But I'll deal with it and I think things will work out regardless. I'll try to get them to sign a year lease, but chances are they'll be more comfortable with a 6-month lease. That works for me because, if they decide to leave in 6 months, it'll expire in the winter and the neighborhood looks very nice when it's too cold for the undesirables to be outside. The main thing was to get property Chi rented out to tenants with no public assistance, and I'm half way home.
I like Hanna. She reminds me of an ex in Brooklyn with whom we shared the best relationship. I'm pretty sure Hanna has a crush on me, which will work in my favor when dealing with her family. She seems to be the spokesperson of the family, either because she speaks the best English or because she just a tough-as-nails girl. My only concern is how they will handle the bar noise across the street on Friday and Saturday nights. Other than that, my untrusting Africans should be just fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment