Friday, January 11, 2013

Meet The Wassle

So I had my meeting with my lawyer Marvin Wassle on Wednesday. I presented all my papers to him: the purchase offer, the broker agreement, and everything else that Cammy gave me on Monday for him to look over.

Marvin was surprised that I wanted to sign the purchase offer when I haven’t even seen the fucking place yet. Then he said that I needed to get the leases from the seller to confirm that those tenants are paying the amount listed, as well as a profit/loss statement for the last two years from the seller about the property. I could tell that he thought I was an idiot, but I didn’t mind because he was right. I haven’t bought a property in years, and even back then I sucked at it. Anyway, he was also wondering why I wasn’t writing any of the things he listed down to to Cammy. I didn’t want to tell him that I was recording him (kinda creepy) because I don’t take good notes, so I got on my phone and pretended to write stuff down. By the time the meeting was over I felt dumber than usual.

So I called Cammy to ask for copies of the lease, only to find out that the owner doesn’t have leases for the tenants. He’s an old guy who just collects the rent and that’s it. So I emailed Marvin Wassle about it, and he said that the seller needs to show SOME kind of financials to prove the income that comes from the property. Otherwise, no one will be able to buy it with a mortgage and the seller will be stuck fielding low-ball cash offers for the rest of his miserable life. Cammy now says that the owner is willing to divulge his Schedule B (the part of his tax return that has his income and expenses). So now I can sign the purchase offer on Monday.

This was my first face-to-face meeting with Marvin Wassle and I’m glad he’s a bit of an asshole. There’s no bullshit with him. He doesn’t care how you’re doing, he doesn’t say “Good Morning”, and he likes to get the facts out as soon as possible. The most important thing is that he responds to me very quickly and gives great advice, which makes it so much easier to do business. He’s the kind of lawyer that’s made for people like me. Something tells me I’m gonna be doing business with him for a long time, or at least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment