January 31st. Wow. This was a crazy month that is thankfully over. I wrote a post at the beginning of this month called 2013, where I wanted to have PPC #3 under mortgage by March and at least 30k by the end of this year. How crazy is it that I set my goals for the year only to have them all go to shit in the first month?!
Because of three credit points I don’t qualify for a mortgage. I’ll have to contact the seller’s lawyer in the middle of this month and ask him if the seller is interested in owner financing. If he agrees, then I can purchase the property in March and have it paid off by April/May of next year. If he says no, then I don’t get the property and I’ll have to wait until the end of the year to get one. With a higher credit score and at least 50k in the bank, I should be able to get a mortgage on a much better property by the end of the year that can yield more profit. Either way, my goal for February (and the rest of 2013) is now to make as much money as possible. Besides not qualifying for a mortgage, January also sucked because I had to pay $1200 to take care of the Dell debt, $460 for the quarterly estimated taxes, and then I had to pay for a bunch of other things. But it’s not all bad news. I mean, I entered that mortgage problem and finally asked for help from others, my lawyer Marvin Wassle and my accountant Ross, instead of stupidly trying to figure it out on my own. There’s also a little piece of good news that happened on Tuesday.
At the bank job, I have to walk around the 6 floor parking garage and hit chips with a security wand at different locations every hour. I’ve been trying to break it all of last year by throwing it down the stairs and abusing it during rounds, but the wand’s exterior is almost indestructible. So I had an idea. I remember being in science class when I was a kid, and the teacher would talk about how magnetism screws up electric devices. So I went to the Dollar store on Tuesday morning, bought two tiny magnets, then opened up the security wand and put them in there. Then I did a round in the garage with the now magnetized wand. I went to my bank job boss, Sandra, after the round to tell her that there might be something wrong with the wand (I made sure to take the magnets out before I gave it to her of course). Her computer said that the round that I did was done back in 1969, and the rounds that were done yesterday were done August 8th, 2027! Sandra got pissed off and said that the wand must be broken, so it must be shipped back to security headquarters and we have to wait for another one. Because the wand is security property, there’s a ton of paperwork that gets filled out so we won’t be getting a new wand for at least two months. So what does that mean for me?
The security wand is the only thing that shows whether I’m doing my job. Without it, the company must rely on my paperwork. My bank job hours are from 6:30am to 2:30pm. So I come into work at 6:30 and fill out all the paperwork for the rounds I’m supposed to do that day. I let a couple people see that I’m there, and then I’m out the door by 7:45am! I don’t have to come back to work until 2:15pm, just to show people that I’m around. If there’s an emergency and they call the security cell phone, I live only 5 minutes away so I’ll tell them I’m in the bathroom and drive back to work. Breaking the wand gives me more time to do what I what during the day, and it's already paid off. Yesterday, for example, I left work and went to the DMV, where it's virtually empty in the morning. I got my license, which has been suspended since 2009, unsuspended and renewed. And, after two and a half years, I finally registered my GMC Jimmy! No more looking around for cops when I’m driving, but it was fun while it lasted. It cost me about $500 (paying the ticket that got my license suspended, license renewal, and car registration fees), but at least I don’t have to worry about parking on the street anymore. And with a valid license, I was able to open a new personal checking and savings account at Chase yesterday so that I won’t run into that same problem with getting mortgages in my name. Today was less about business, as I left the job to go home to watch Transformers and old Simpsons episodes. The only reason why I came back to work early today is to write this post!
For February, the only foreseeable bills I have are the water bills and fixing an engine oil leak in my GMC Jimmy. Then it should be all about making that money. You know, January was a miserable month. I didn’t make any money and my hopes of getting a mortgage for PPC #3 were crushed. I’ll have to work until the middle/end of 2015 to cross that $5,000 a month plateau which will allow me to finally retire. But there are so many other opportunities awaiting me that I’m looking forward to. I just have to remember to continue making money and not lose focus. The more money I have saved, the more opportunities I’ll have later on. And I can play hookie from the bank job all I want for the rest of winter. I won’t abuse this new gift too much, but I’ll definitely take advantage of it on those days when I really don’t fell like walking in a cold-ass garage. The breaking of the security wand—my consolation prize for an otherwise awful month. January, RIP.
No comments:
Post a Comment