This blog may turn into a political tirade about welfare people and how much I hate them. I loathe discussing politics and I hate ranting for the sake of ranting, so I'll try to stay on the subject.
Both of Property Chi's tenants are late on their rent. The upstairs tenant's Public Assistance (PA) check only paid $480 of the $525 owed. The downstairs tenant's (the one with 5 kids) social services check didn't come because they said the place had code violations and they were withholding the rent. I called Code Enforcement and they had no record of any violations for my property. So either the downstairs tenant is lying, or Social Services is getting cheap. The funny thing is that they want me to fight for the rent money that technically comes out of my and every other taxpayer's paycheck. Either way, I've had enough.
I'll take the blame for this one, as I shouldn't have moved the downstairs tenant in in the first place. Single mother? 5 kids? No job? I should have known better. I shouldn't have to go through this every month when I'm the one providing good housing to the "unfortunate". Instead I get more headache from them than from those that actually work and pay on time! I'm already saving up money to do repairs and painting once I find a way to throw both of them out. A couple hundred for paint. A couple hundred for repairs and it's all good. I'll say it on this blog as well: "Don't be lazy. If it takes a little bit to fix up and apartment to get a better tenant, then do it. Some paint, some cleaning materials and, in a day or two, you have an apartment worthy of a tenant with a job! It's not worth the headache you get afterwards." This is an exact quote from an earlier blog and it must be emphasized.
The best way to throw someone out is through eviction. The problem is that, once I file, Social Services may pay the rent for the month as "emergency relief". This would mean that I'd have to go through the same bullshit next month. The best way to go is to file the eviction, then have them pay, then send a 30 day notice to the downstairs tenant, giving her until April 30th to find a place to move to. By doing this, she can't get me in court with any made up code violations because it won't have anything to do with rent. She'll bring it up and the judge will say, "If it's so bad, then leave! You been given 30 days to leave, so get out!" The only thing I have to do is to make sure I make her sign a document stating that she has been paying the security deposit month to month, or they may ask me to give her the full $700. I was supposed to do that when she first moved in but I forgot.
As for the upstairs tenant, I'll figure out something. She is on temporary assistance because she just had a baby and the boyfriend left her while she was pregnant. Since then, she had the kid and the boyfriend is back. So, once I get good tenants into the downstairs, I'll let her know that I no longer want any fucking PA bums in my house (I'll try to be kinder).
Sha told me that he is also done with Public Assistance. People work. They make money. The problem is that it takes a while to find them and, if you have a property in a less-than-desirable area, you only get applications from the welfare bums. But I've learned my lesson. I'll take the hit and wait a while. It's worth it in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment