After little deliberation, I've decided to go ahead and not renew Laurie's lease. I made this decision for three reasons.
The first was my growing curiosity of whether or not playing by the book will work in court. People find ways to avoid the issue and win a case through a technicality or something. Boston Legal is a great example of that. While it's for entertainment and a great show overall, it's basis is on lawyers that can win cases not based on merit and legal standing, but rather on technicalities and theatrics. Most judges won't fall for it, but some do. I was the victim of one that did, so I know that theatrics can win cases in real life.
The second reason is that I honestly don't believe that Laurie will work out as a tenant. She has too many issues with custody and her fake ghetto boyfriend's custody issues. She's a liar, she has a bad attitude, and I'm tired of dealing with "assistance tenants". Section 8, Public Assistance, Social Services, SSI, it's all the same. People who don't work hard, get themselves into bad situations, don't deserve good housing, given housing, legal assistance, and free food. And, when you have a problem with them (they that exist only because I pay my taxes), they get legal assistance from lawyers that ALSO get paid through my taxes who try to keep these scumbags in my property. I want to be able to deal with a tenant without having to deal with why their "program" won't pay their rent.
The third reason is that she threatened me, saying that she's going to be very mean now. While not actually a serious threat, I can't imagine keeping a tenant in my property that thinks I'm afraid of her. Truth be told, I don't get scared of much. But I'm 100% sure that if I were scared of anything, it wouldn't be of Laurie or anything that she can do to my property.
Her sister Annie, the upstairs tenant, called me to try to intervene and I just told her that I can't divulge any information about Laurie's tenancy. She did, however, unknowingly give me hints as to how Laurie will try to play this. Laurie plans to use the SSI letters that showed non-existent code violations as proof that they didn't pay the rent due to that. What she doesn't realize is that the case has nothing to do with code enforcement or rent, so the judge will (hopefully) shut her up and simply tell her that her lease is up so get out.
I still have a trump card that I can play next week just to avoid having to go to court and all that. I don't have to do it, but it's available. All in all, I feel a little more confident about the eventual court case being in my favor.
No comments:
Post a Comment