I watched a movie today and it reminded me of my passion: teaching. I watched "Waiting for Superman" and it reminded me of all the things that made me quit teaching. I hated the politics of teaching. I hated the way kids that knew nothing were allowed to graduate; the way administrators would let this happen so long as they meet their quota of graduates, and would therefore get more funding for useless materials. I hated seeing that the kids knew that they could do just about anything and they would graduate, and that there was nothing teachers were allowed to do about it. I hated the politics, jealous teachers, the affable parents, and, most importantly, I hated the way education is, like everything else, ruled by money.
The movie also reminded of all the things I loved about teaching. I wasn't a great teacher, but I had a burning desire to teach and the kids fed off of it. They knew that I seriously cared about them, no matter how many punishments I gave or how many times I'd yell. I would wake up at 6am and not go to bed until 11pm. I loved watching a kid learn a formula then apply it to different things. I loved researching different teaching methods and trying them out in my lesson plans.
When I left teaching, I said that the only way I'd go back is if I were rich. If I were rich, I thought, then I could teach the way I want and not have to worry about funding or losing my job. But, seeing as this education system will not change during my lifetime, I'm not so sure anymore. And, after working so hard to get these properties, do I really want to do real work anymore? Do I really want to have to sit through classes to re-learn my craft and get my Master's degree? Should I join the war with my former fellow teachers in obtaining proper education for kids? I know I still care about teaching, but I really don't know the answers to those questions. But thankfully, as for now, those questions don't matter. Make it rich first, then think about future. This was just a thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment